SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my first post. I apologize in advance if I am not posting correctly.
I have 2 swedish girls, 8 years old this month! Love them- great personality and very calm.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! 8yrs old? That's awesome!!!

Hey guys i think my blue swede is going broody but i dont know for sure since this is my first time having ducks. How can i tell for sure. I have a muscovy that is broody. Do they kinda do it the same way. My swede is on the nest right now and its 80 degrees out and she usualy is in the water but she is on the nest now. Does this mean she is broody?

Hey guys i think my blue swede is going broody but i dont know for sure since this is my first time having ducks. How can i tell for sure. I have a muscovy that is broody. Do they kinda do it the same way. My swede is on the nest right now and its 80 degrees out and she usualy is in the water but she is on the nest now. Does this mean she is broody?

I think it is a possibility. Just take care of her - if she's in 80 degrees F, no shade, that's not healthy. They don't always choose the healthiest or most convenient sites - a sitting duck is just that - very vulnerable, and steps need to be taken so she will be okay.

I think it is a possibility.  Just take care of her - if she's in 80 degrees F, no shade, that's not healthy.  They don't always choose the healthiest or most convenient sites - a sitting duck is just that - very vulnerable, and steps need to be taken so she will be okay.

She is in the shed I keep them in at night in the nesting boxes.
My Muscovy is also nesting in there.
Lots of shade in there since it is in a shed. But it is insulated.

I am the new one to this forum. I just figured out how to post a picture.... This pic is a couple of years old. The 2 swedish ducks are now much whiter as they turn get whiter with every molt. They are 8 years old, but they still lay eggs about 6 months out of the year. I love them and have enjoyed reading this thread and looking at the other pictures.

I am the new one to this forum. I just figured out how to post a picture.... This pic is a couple of years old. The 2 swedish ducks are now much whiter as they turn get whiter with every molt. They are 8 years old, but they still lay eggs about 6 months out of the year. I love them and have enjoyed reading this thread and looking at the other pictures.
Love the pic. I'm just starting a new batch of ducklings. They are about 6-8 weeks but look nearly grown. Will post pics later. I always learn so much valuable information from this site. I also have chickens but they are young too. I moved a couple years ago and got rid of all my chickens but finally starting again.

Last edited:
We had our first ducklings hatch a few days ago. They are so adorable. Drake is a Blue Swedish, Hen is a Mallard. We have 8 from this clutch and just had 3 more hatch today. My buff orphington hatched them all. We are unsure of how to sex them. Could it be the difference in their appearance?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom