SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I agree - that sounds like a very good plan.
smile.png

If you can keep two drakes then you have the option of running two pens for breeding purposes which means you can put the female offspring from Pen A in with the drake in Pen B and the female offspring from Pen B in with the drake in Pen A. That'll mean you can keep and breed from good female offspring without the whole group getting too inbred. No need to pen them separately all the time - just for three weeks before you collect eggs (to be sure of who the father is) and then for another week while to collect eggs to set. You could incubate eggs from each pen separately so you know that all the ducklings are from the one pen - makes it easier to avoid mix-ups and you can be surer about parentage. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Or you could just run the whole lot together all year and not worry too much about who is fathering what.

70%cocoa :

I agree - that sounds like a very good plan.
smile.png

If you can keep two drakes then you have the option of running two pens for breeding purposes which means you can put the female offspring from Pen A in with the drake in Pen B and the female offspring from Pen B in with the drake in Pen A. That'll mean you can keep and breed from good female offspring without the whole group getting too inbred. No need to pen them separately all the time - just for three weeks before you collect eggs (to be sure of who the father is) and then for another week while to collect eggs to set. You could incubate eggs from each pen separately so you know that all the ducklings are from the one pen - makes it easier to avoid mix-ups and you can be surer about parentage. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Or you could just run the whole lot together all year and not worry too much about who is fathering what.

big_smile.png

Quote:
THANKS GALS!!!
now to wait for spring (but ill still be looking for an older one..)
70%cocoa im going to have to make a duck coop for all this
smile.png
well a better one.. they have one they just dont like it. that sounds like a GREAT idea!!
for right now they free range and have been sleeping with the chickens. and not in there own. more body heat to keep warm
tongue.png

thank you so so much!!
smile.png

89080_ducks_034.jpg

this is apache, she wanted to say hi to everyone
smile.png
i can never get good pictures of the front of them
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW!! thanks that helps
smile.png

Your gals are prett, and have very nice bibs! You should get some pretty babies from them
wink.png

Quote:
awwww thanks
smile.png
i sure hope i find a boy that will do them justice
tongue.png

never understood people being so pickie about there animals... NOW I DO!!
89080_ducks_037.jpg

However, the drake's head is a dark blue with a greenish bill while the duck's head and bill are the same blue slate color of the body.
this confused me

shawnadoodlebug.. do you have more pictures of your drake hes so handsome!! id love to see more.

Last edited:
SOP Blue Swedish:

Drake, bill, greenish blue
Duck, bill, blueish slate

drake, typically one or two shades darker than the ducks

Drake, head, dark blue, sometimes approaching black with a green sheen

Duck, head same color as the general body color.

Feathers should be laced with blue and the thickest part of the wing should be very slightly darker blue.

Personal note, I really do not want green heads, so I select for the dark blue head and shy away from the green hues ones, even though the green sheen is allowed in the standard.

Quote:
awwww thanks
smile.png
i sure hope i find a boy that will do them justice
tongue.png

never understood people being so pickie about there animals... NOW I DO!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/89080_ducks_037.jpg

However, the drake's head is a dark blue with a greenish bill while the duck's head and bill are the same blue slate color of the body.
this confused me

shawnadoodlebug.. do you have more pictures of your drake hes so handsome!! id love to see more.

I have to ask... Where did you get them?

Back
Top Bottom