SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
[[[[........it'd be great if you could get one of Oregon Blues's drakes. .....]]]]]

Thank you so much for the lovely compliment.

However, I just got my Blues (from Ohio) this spring and I still don't know what I've got. The seller's ethics were less than stellar. The ducks look really nice, but I don't know if they are the average for the flock they came out of, or if the seller just picked out the good ones for me. Until I get a couple of hatches done next spring, I won't know.

At this point, I would not permit anyone to pay expensive shipping for one of my Blues. Until I know what the ducks are going to do when bred. I like to be able to tell my customers what they are getting and how to put it to best use.

They need a lot of improving, too, but they were the only show Blues I found in nearly a year of searching. I'm really happy with them, but I can see things I will be working on improving. It's going to be slow. I ordered 16 Blues (14 ducks and 2 drakes) and I received 6 Blues with 4 drakes and 2 ducks.

At least the 2 ducks are nice. I think one of them is exceptionally nice and am looking forward to the spring shows to see what the judges think of her. I'm keeping 2 drakes ( 1 for a spare, just in case) but really can't keep 4 drakes when I only have 2 ducks.

Wings: Uniform bluish slate except for darker shading on wing bows ((most distinct on drakes). The outer two or three flights pure white, preferably the number of white flights in both wings are the same.

That's a very ethical and sound approach, Oregon Blues. Would be good if more people approached breeding in that way. It does take time to work out what you have... I'm looking on my hatches as being fairly experimental for the first few years. Only hatched 7 so far so even the experimenting is in the embryonic stages!!
smile.png

Quote:
Your ducks are very pretty!! I LOVE your buff. She looks exactly like mine who is the best duck! And I mean that last pic could be 2 of my ducks(minus the makeup on the swedish)!! I'm not big on SQ or SOP I just like to have pretty, fun ducks and I LOVE white on them. The more white the better for me so I really like yours!

It would be WONDERFUL if evelle could get one of oregon blues drakes
love.gif
I adore hers! Such pretty birdies! Everyone elses are beautiful too!
love.gif

Quote:
Blue you do know that Swedish is wrong? there are blue Swedes and Black Swedes like there are Canada Geese there are not
Swedish Ducks nor Canadian Geese.

APA SOP calls them "Blue Swedish Ducks". The British Standard calls them Blue Swedish Ducks. The Australian standard calls them Blue Swedish Ducks. I think that the German/ Polish standards, where they originated, call them something else, but it isn't "Swedes". They are actually Pomeranian ducks and not Swedish at all. I don't speak German or Polish, so it is difficult to look up what they are called where they originated.

I occasionally call them my Swedes, but the SOP name for them is Swedish.

The SOP calls Canada Geese "Canada Geese", which is what I've always called them. When I am speaking of many, I call them Canada Geese, although I suspect that calling them Canadas is probably also correct. It just sounds a little odd to me. I don't raise them, so my Canada goose conversation is mostly limited to the birds in the local parks.

Quote:
x2
smile.png

lol
big_smile.png

maybe eggs in the spring??? i am really good at hatching roosters so i would think it would be the same with ducks
lau.gif

I will figure something out.. but i do need to put in account to get an unrelated male in the mix.
89080_ducks_026.jpg

they are multing i thought they wouldnt mult this soon i figured they would next fall... silly girls
it snowed a couple days ago i let them out to see it for the first time they ate so much!! it was great to watch.
oh and mine have about 6 white feathers on each wing 9 (they are the first ones)

Last edited:
Quote:
x2
smile.png

lol
big_smile.png

maybe eggs in the spring??? i am really good at hatching roosters so i would think it would be the same with ducks
lau.gif

I will figure something out.. but i do need to put in account to get an unrelated male in the mix.

Lol! I hope you dont hatch out all drakes from my batch
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom