Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Here are more of the Flock...pic. heavy...~Charm1704

A white hen with light blue hackles.

I have 8 hens, 4 of the beautiful gray millie Fleur, 1 black millie fluer, 2 white, one with red mottled , 1 with light gray hackles, 1 with a top knot that is calico Millie Fluer.
I am going to keep 3 of the 5 Roos and re-home 2 of them. My birds are from 2 different flocks, and I plan to have 2 different pens to keep them from getting too closely related. ~Charm1704
Beautiful flock. Can't wait till mine get a lttle bigger. wish you weren't so far away. i'd love to take your two rros. i'm going to be looking soon. need them from someone other than where my first birds came from. any one her 2-4 hours from Tulsa OK with a roo or two for sale?

As chicks they'll be pale buttery, sometimes with some black over them like the chick on the right.
They'll turn a darker as they mature. Here are some pics. The legs in the second picture are of the same chick in the first on the right. The black never went away.
The last pic is of a different bird, shows the yellow color as well as some black over it. I have not seen white at all. This information is based on my bird population.
ETA: If you click on each pic it will give you a bigger screen shot so you'll get a more accurate idea of the color. Harder to tell when the pics are small like this.

mine are paler for sure but that could change.

I love this hen! Anyone else get hens like this with the white head and spotted body? Pics??
flower_hen_hen.1451331_large.jpg

Tnchickennut, if you have hens with these kinds of coloration, I would love to get some. I like the lighter brown base colors, not the dark Exchequer leghorn-like color.

I agree, that's an awfully pretty bird. :love The only I've seen like it!

ETA: Okay, can we take a vote, cockerel or pullet? About 3 wks old.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that these Swedish Flower hens are a bit older than other chicks before I can visually say hen or rooster about them with any degree of certainty. THey sure do keep you guessing. I have three hatched out and two were very faded-looking but are now getting brighter colours. One has a very black crest; the other a very brown crest. I am eager to see what they look like when they are older. The third one is a base colour of white with heavy red blotchy spots on its wings and up over the saddle area of it's back. It. too, has that crest thing---right now looks like a teenager with a Mohawk haircut!! Right now they all three look like females to me, but I'm not certain yet. They are 6 1/2 weeks from hatch-out and one has a more prominent looking comb, but not the corresponding wattles. It is the wattles appearance which usually makes me sure it's a rooster and they get more red colour in the comb earlier than the females get it. I love mysteries, and at this stage of the game it's still a mystery to me!!

First Swedish Flower egg today at 20 1/2 weeks. Also hatched out 6 Swedish/Ameraucana chicks under a broody, so the roosters are doing their job. Can't wait to start collecting Swedish Flower eggs for the incubator!

hey where can i get some im in wv and i raise rare chickens on my small scale conservation farm. id love to add this breed to my collection.

Back
Top Bottom