Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I'm going to be traveling down I-81 from the Roanoke, VA area to Knoxville, TN area on Monday. Anybody along my rout want SFH eggs or to sell me a SFH pullet/hen or anything? PM me if you are interested!

Question about split wings in these chickens. How common is it and it is a genetic flaw correct? I have week old chicks that I hatched from eggs purchased from BYC member and out of 6 that hatched I have one that both wing feathers stick out and another that it looks like one side sticks out. Split wing is where there is a gap in the wing due to feathers not present. These birds should not be used to breed correct? Thanks for the help.
Since we don't have a standard yet it is all in someones opinion some countries don't disqualify for that but in this country we normally do.

I never said JB had anything but the best intentions toward the breed. I've seen how much he cares for his birds and for the breed & do believe what he is trying to do could be a good thing. I was just adding MY input about the concerns of coming up with a 'breed standard'- as he asks all of us to do! Whatever does or does not come of his efforts will not effect me or my SFH's since I have no intentions of showing mine. They are purely for our enjoyment and so my husband can have a piece of his home here in Louisiana.

I am a bit offended by your sarcastic comment of what I said about the breed surviving 'in spite of' the conditions in Sweden. Unless you have personal knowledge of conditions in Sweden then I will just ignore your comment and consider the source.

JB I wish you luck in your endeavors. I do think that you will take all the opinions given here as well as your own and do the best you can with it!

I do want to say one more thing- I've met some very nice folks on BYC in numerous threads. I met JB in the Feb hatch along thread and he invited me here to this one as until then I didn't know it was here. I do try to follow along with the post here, and I've learned some interesting things, seen photos of the beautiful birds you all have posted- but I rarely add anything to the conversations because at times it seems to get a bit unfriendly. So I suppose I will just go back to my hatch along threads where everyone's opinion is welcome
wink.png
Just for the record. I did say that my sarcasm was to make a point, and not intended to offend anyone. I also said that I posted with reservations, because in the past I have gotten responses in the same tone. I never questioned your right to an opinion. I never said you were not welcome on the thread. I guess you can all "consider the source" and take it that I am an ignorant, hateful, person. Maybe I should just pack it in myself since my opinions are unwelcome. Happy hatching!

I agree with you 100% if they want to do that to us then I will not continue with what I am doing but as of now they have said there is so much color varriation in the breed they will make allowences, due to it being natural!
yes we would need to drop it asap, I think there is a lot we still don't know, we have one pullet straight from greenfire that has chocolate legs and beak she has thrown to choco pullets and have heard of other people who have had choco pullets, I think the breed has a lot to offer that we are yet to find out. I would love to see them recognized for what they are not what someone wants them to be.

I've heard about all the different colors these guys can throw but until I started hatching some myself I didn't fully get thet any hen to any roo can throw any color.

I just hatched out a chick thats going to look like this:

From these two:

For a long time I thought this was a cockerel. But the comb is so small I am second guessing myself. About 5 mos old.

Im not sure either but the second I saw it I said cock. without reading comment, keep us posted
Good Luck!
droolin.gif
by the way love the coloring!

For a long time I thought this was a cockerel. But the comb is so small I am second guessing myself. About 5 mos old.

Looks like a roo to me too. If a roo the saddle feathers should be coming in soon. If you separate the feathers in the saddle region do you see any thin shiny feathers? If there are more dominant roos in the flock this little guy's maturity may be stalled out

Back
Top Bottom