Swedish Flower Hen Thread

My peeps are 1 month old. First day free ranging with mom, in the garden.
This one doesn't seem very colorful. There is a patch of black feathers on it's head.

This one is one of the lighter colored ones:

And here are some others:

Here's another photo:

I'm thinking 4 of the 5 are male, but I hope I'm wrong!

Yes, we have a 30lb dog and an outdoor cat and our kiddos 1yr and 3yr old boys, along with goats and other barnyard kids. Don't need it thinking we are its meal ticket!
I know what you mean, I have not had it happen for years thankfully- but several years ago when I was on vacation 4 of my pygmy girls kidded right before I left & 1 after. I had my cousin come everyday to feed & check on all the animals- well I got home to no babies, plus a missing mama. Coyotes had raided & got them all in 1 night! I was so upset!

An update on my sfh disappearing, yesterday afternoon about 330 we came home to find a coyote in the middle of our drive way my husband set up after it while I checked the chickens, it didn't get any of my kiddos! And my husband saved the day and got the coyote!
So sorry about losing your pullet - but glad that coyote is gone for good! Hopefully none of its friends will show up!

Here are my SFH that I got from Bulldogma and Ki4got:
Great looking birds!!

I bought this on Ebay for around $16.00.

How cool is that? I want one!

Hi, I am thinking of hatching some of these chickens in the Spring 14. How dose everyone like there's.

How fast do they grow? They'll reach full size by around 20 weeks. It can also depend on what time of year they are hatched.

Are they a noisy chicken? I have some singing hens (LOL) but they are no noisier than any other breed.

Do they go broody? 2 of my 3 mature girls are currently broody.

Are they tolerant of confinement? They "tolerate" it, but much prefer to free range!

Are they good free rangers? The BEST! They go further and faster than any of my other birds.

Are they tasty? Yes, but not heavy - less meat than some other breeds.

Those pretty feathers aren't so pretty after being in the plucker!
Ever skin a bird? It's not that hard, and there actually is a market for skins/feathers. Especially feathers this pretty.

Redhen, I like the one in the 1st pic. They change so much over the first 6 mo, that's the thing with SFH you can't cull too early or you might miss out on a real beauty!

[COLOR=800080]I know what you mean, I have not had it happen for years thankfully- but several years ago when I was on vacation 4 of my pygmy girls kidded right before I left & 1 after. I had my cousin come everyday to feed & check on all the animals- well I got home to no babies, plus a missing mama. Coyotes had raided & got them all in 1 night! I was so upset![/COLOR]

Oh my! That's awful! Better safe than sorry when dealing with predators!

Well I am pretty excited, my SFH girls just started to lay last week so I've been collecting & saving the eggs. I just set my first 16 eggs in the bator an hour ago- on or about Aug 5 I am hoping to have some new babies! Only 3 of the 6 girls are laying yet, but I don't know which 3. I'm anxious to see what colors I will get from them
woot.gif

Hi,  I am thinking of hatching some of these chickens in the Spring 14. How dose everyone like there's. How fast do they grow? Are they a noisy chicken? Do they go broody? Are they tolerant of confinement? Are they good free rangers? Are they tasty?

They grow just like my other birds, except for the meaties.

Thr roosters are crazy noisy.

Mine are all too young to consider going broody, but from all accounts, they will, but not like a Cochin or Silkie.

Mine HATE confinement. Even the 7-8 week olds are trying to fly out of their day pens (I have them confined to protect them from roosters). I gave up keeping my 20 week olds confined. Excellent free rangers. I don't bother feeding much to that group.

I killed a couple of roosters for severe aggression issues, and they were not as meaty as I would have liked, but they weren't bad.

My roos were only overly noisy when I had 4 in the run, I guess the whole competition thing. Now that I kept just the 2 I liked most they have calmed down considerably! The girls are much happier too LOL I have not processed one yet to talk about the meat value, but I have to say they look pretty heavy- not like the Orps of course, but I think they'd make a decent meal. I've had all my birds on fermented feed for about 4 mo now & I think that makes a big difference too. As for confinement- of course they much prefer to free range, but they seem to do fine when they are in the run. I think confinement is ok for them as long as they have enough room & they get some range time. All my birds each have an 8ft wide 22 ft long run. I have 8 SFH in that size run. Each breed gets to free range an average of 1 day a week. And they all seem to know their 'day' :)

Hey all, if anybody is looking for hatching eggs Papa Brooder has some on the Crazy 24 Hr Thread right now. 25+ eggs, shipping $17, no bids, starting at $10.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread/2810#post_11641175

I can highly recommend both his eggs, his packing job, and his birds. I got Stanley and crew from him earlier this year, Stanley is a perfect gentleman and has never challenged me - and he is so handsome! Ida is Mille Fleur coloring and currently working on extra large eggs, and Little Lizzie is right behind her.

Ida

Stanley

I got some eggs from him and hatched 8, 4 blue/black and 4 Red/yellow. I kept the 4 blue/black chicks and I have 3 crested and 1 un-crested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom