Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I just set 14 or 15 of my own sfh eggs on sunday! they got out a couple weeks ago, but my sfh roo (Gunnarsson) has been doing his job, so
fl.gif

Interestingly enough, the three eggs that hatched first are cream/white colored eggs, all from the same hen. One of the tan/light brown eggs has pipped, the others, are just sitting here. Of the 3 that hatched, I'm thinking two are roos... just from looking at their combs.
Hoping for some more girls.
fl.gif
DH won't let me keep roos once they start crowing.

2 more SFH have entered the world overnight. 2 are zipping, 3 more... we'll just have to wait and see.
Yah! ( Had 6/7 mutt EE hatch last night, 2 days early actually, just helping keep the bator up to temp. & fertility testing the roo) and since that cleared out enough space that HUGE egg from Flo went in, we'll see if BV is effective on egg 1 , might as well test it just in case I figure!

I just set 14 or 15 of my own sfh eggs on sunday! they got out a couple weeks ago, but my sfh roo (Gunnarsson) has been doing his job, so
fl.gif
Hoping for you !

2 more SFH have entered the world overnight. 2 are zipping, 3 more... we'll just have to wait and see.

Hooray!! Congrats!

Annnnddd... I hit "multi" on a few other posts but it didn't post.

So - OldChurch and Ki4got,
fl.gif
for your hatches.

It's killing me, but I'm holding off on incubating any eggs until we know more about our move. It will probably have to wait until after our move at this rate. (And of course then I can expect my girls to stop laying until they adjust... LOL!) Just my luck. Thank goodness for Ki4got who already has some of mine in her 'bators! "Cause that's what friends are for, right?
lol.png

Yah! ( Had 6/7 mutt EE hatch last night, 2 days early actually, just helping keep the bator up to temp. & fertility testing the roo) and since that cleared out enough space that HUGE egg from Flo went in, we'll see if BV is effective on egg 1 , might as well test it just in case I figure!

Hoping for you !
FYI, HUGE eggs are often double yolkers and double yolkers usually are unable to hatch, although I've seen a youtube video of an assisted hatch in which both chicks survived, so it is possible, just not likely.

Speaking of assisted hatches, I am probably going to assist my 3 remaining eggs if they don't hatch by my bedtime tonight. I did check the egg that I hadn't heard and sound from and it hadn't absorbed all of the yolk and was dead. The other 3 are still alive but have not progressed all day. I would like to transfer them all into the brooder before I go to work tomorrrow.

Here is my only crested SFH I am not sure what it is yet but it is the tamest of them all. Every time I sit down in the room with them it comes and sits on my shoe and tries flying to sit on my leg lol.

Question on SFH chick down colors.

Over the weekend, I had eleven chicks hatch. Three cream legbars with normal colors (1 cockerel and 2 pullets), two white-sport cream legbars (1 cockerel and 1 pullet), one cream legbar X buff orpington cross, and two that I believe are SFH.

Of the two chicks that I believe are SFH, I wanted to get your views on their down colors. The lighter chick has what I would call a hint wild type colors going down its back which leads me to believe that its father may not have been a SFH. Cream legbars do have wild type color patterns for chick down so I wonder whether this cream legbar roo jumped the fence. Pictures are taken in the mid-late afternoon sunlight.

The "Black" Chick

The first on has basically a black body with a brown head and a white spot on the back of the head. Cream legbars males have a white spot on the back of the head so this might also be a jump the fence. I am hoping for SFH.

The "Light" Chick

In this picture, you can clearly see the chipmunk striping going down the back. I cannot say that I have seen SFH chicks with this pattern before. The same also applies to the dark patch on the back of the head.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Last edited:
FYI, HUGE eggs are often double yolkers and double yolkers usually are unable to hatch, although I've seen a youtube video of an assisted hatch in which both chicks survived, so it is possible, just not likely.

Speaking of assisted hatches, I am probably going to assist my 3 remaining eggs if they don't hatch by my bedtime tonight. I did check the egg that I hadn't heard and sound from and it hadn't absorbed all of the yolk and was dead. The other 3 are still alive but have not progressed all day. I would like to transfer them all into the brooder before I go to work tomorrrow.

Yes, the double yolk is a possibility esp. this being the 1st egg of the spring it could well be a double which was why I wasn't going to set it.
But then when I had plenty of room I figured well at least I'll be able to see if it was fertilized (if it starts to develop) which will tell me if I should set next week's eggs, or eat them & wait for BV to mature a little more, worst case the egg won't hatch, best case I'll have my 1st homegrown SFH, bator is running w/ 10 UofA Blues I set at the same time so I figured it was fun to try...& time will answer all questions ;)

Back
Top Bottom