Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Here is my only crested SFH I am not sure what it is yet but it is the tamest of them all. Every time I sit down in the room with them it comes and sits on my shoe and tries flying to sit on my leg lol.
That bird's mom is Ali - she's the one who runs up to me every single time I go out to the run (unless she's laying an egg) and asks to be picked up. She loves to be held and snuggled for long periods of time. Dad was clearly Sorenson - another very friendly and non-aggressive rooster. It doesn't surprise me one bit that their offspring is so friendly too.

Question on SFH chick down colors.

Over the weekend, I had eleven chicks hatch. Three cream legbars with normal colors (1 cockerel and 2 pullets), two white-sport cream legbars (1 cockerel and 1 pullet), one cream legbar X buff orpington cross, and two that I believe are SFH.

Of the two chicks that I believe are SFH, I wanted to get your views on their down colors. The lighter chick has what I would call a hint wild type colors going down its back which leads me to believe that its father may not have been a SFH. Cream legbars do have wild type color patterns for chick down so I wonder whether this cream legbar roo jumped the fence. Pictures are taken in the mid-late afternoon sunlight.

The "Black" Chick

The first on has basically a black body with a brown head and a white spot on the back of the head. Cream legbars males have a white spot on the back of the head so this might also be a jump the fence. I am hoping for SFH.

The "Light" Chick

In this picture, you can clearly see the chipmunk striping going down the back. I cannot say that I have seen SFH chicks with this pattern before. The same also applies to the dark patch on the back of the head.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Hmmm... I've never personally seen an SFH with the coloring of the darker one. The only chicks I've hatched from my flock that had racing stripes like the lighter one were mixed (mom was a production red, dad was SFH).

Well - I set a new personal record. Packaged and shipped 39 SFH eggs today - all eggs were from the last 6 days. I'm a proud chicken mamma! My girls are laying like champions. Of course we're moving in a few weeks, so I'll expect production to drop for a bit after that until the flock gets settled in their new digs.

We have moving funds set aside just for the coop(s) and runs. Hope things go somewhat smoothly... you know... moving with 40+ chickens in tow. LOL!

Well - I set a new personal record. Packaged and shipped 39 SFH eggs today - all eggs were from the last 6 days. I'm a proud chicken mamma! My girls are laying like champions. Of course we're moving in a few weeks, so I'll expect production to drop for a bit after that until the flock gets settled in their new digs.

We have moving funds set aside just for the coop(s) and runs. Hope things go somewhat smoothly... you know... moving with 40+ chickens in tow. LOL!

Let me know once you get moved and get that incubator fired up with eggs.
tongue.png

That bird's mom is Ali - she's the one who runs up to me every single time I go out to the run (unless she's laying an egg) and asks to be picked up. She loves to be held and snuggled for long periods of time. Dad was clearly Sorenson - another very friendly and non-aggressive rooster. It doesn't surprise me one bit that their offspring is so friendly too.

Hmmm... I've never personally seen an SFH with the coloring of the darker one. The only chicks I've hatched from my flock that had racing stripes like the lighter one were mixed (mom was a production red, dad was SFH).

Yep, those were my thoughts as well. They will be interesting to see how they grow out.

I did
Question on SFH chick down colors. Over the weekend, I had eleven chicks hatch. Three cream legbars with normal colors (1 cockerel and 2 pullets), two white-sport cream legbars (1 cockerel and 1 pullet), one cream legbar X buff orpington cross, and two that I believe are SFH. Of the two chicks that I believe are SFH, I wanted to get your views on their down colors. The lighter chick has what I would call a hint wild type colors going down its back which leads me to believe that its father may not have been a SFH. Cream legbars do have wild type color patterns for chick down so I wonder whether this cream legbar roo jumped the fence. Pictures are taken in the mid-late afternoon sunlight. The "Black" Chick The first on has basically a black body with a brown head and a white spot on the back of the head. Cream legbars males have a white spot on the back of the head so this might also be a jump the fence. I am hoping for SFH. The "Light" Chick In this picture, you can clearly see the chipmunk striping going down the back. I cannot say that I have seen SFH chicks with this pattern before. The same also applies to the dark patch on the back of the head. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!
I did have a light chipmunk chick from my blue based boy out of a black based MF girl. But I lost the pics when I got a new phone :(. The dark one makes me think legbar

Back
Top Bottom