Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Here's a picture of a cockerel I recently gave to a friend. He wasn't feathered out all the way when he left here, so it was fun seeing how this Swedish Flower Hen blossomed! Pictures aren't great. I had just dropped off 5 new hens to her and this boy was busy strutting his stuff...hard to get a pic of him standing still. His father was a blue based roo I gave away after he did his job here. The pullet pictured here is NOT a SFH.

http://www.kackel.se/lantras_hons.html
There's a picture of one on this site that made me think of eventually trying to cross them to buff orps.. It would probably take a few generaions of back crossing and crossing the mixes together but you could probably get a gold bird with pretty cool speckling. It'd be pretty, and also large enough to be dual purpose.. and hopefully broody! I have a gold olive egger but she carries a dominant white gene so it'd cover any black or blue in 50% of the offspring. She's molting right now though.. I do have a few eggs in the incubator right now. I think only 3 pure sfh eggs are developing and 1 fayoumi/araucanaX egg (with my boy as the daddy).

I copy and pasted the pic I was talking about from the link above. I haven't seen one in the US like this yet.. Anyone have any this light? My girl is really light but its more of an orangish, not a buff. What would you call this color? Buff mille fleur?

Again this is the link where this pic came from! Not my chicken!! http://www.kackel.se/lantras_hons.html
blomme4.jpg

Here's a picture of a cockerel I recently gave to a friend. He wasn't feathered out all the way when he left here, so it was fun seeing how this Swedish Flower Hen blossomed! Pictures aren't great. I had just dropped off 5 new hens to her and this boy was busy strutting his stuff...hard to get a pic of him standing still. His father was a blue based roo I gave away after he did his job here. The pullet pictured here is NOT a SFH.
My boy looked exactly like this at that age. His tail was a little fuller and the blue was darker but really, I had to take a double take!

http://www.kackel.se/lantras_hons.html
There's a picture of one on this site that made me think of eventually trying to cross them to buff orps.. It would probably take a few generaions of back crossing and crossing the mixes together but you could probably get a gold bird with pretty cool speckling. It'd be pretty, and also large enough to be dual purpose.. and hopefully broody! I have a gold olive egger but she carries a dominant white gene so it'd cover any black or blue in 50% of the offspring. She's molting right now though.. I do have a few eggs in the incubator right now. I think only 3 pure sfh eggs are developing and 1 fayoumi/araucanaX egg (with my boy as the daddy).

I copy and pasted the pic I was talking about from the link above. I haven't seen one in the US like this yet.. Anyone have any this light? My girl is really light but its more of an orangish, not a buff. What would you call this color? Buff mille fleur?

Again this is the link where this pic came from! Not my chicken!! http://www.kackel.se/lantras_hons.html
blomme4.jpg
What a beautiful hen!!

I know to each their own but I think for me we try to be especially care full with the possibility of crossing. Because I fill that it being a land race with such diversity in its blood that the possibility of putting in wrong genetics could make it tough to to keep the purity. Just my thoughts.

I know to each their own but I think for me we try to be especially care full with the possibility of crossing. Because I fill that it being a land race with such diversity in its blood that the possibility of putting in wrong genetics could make it tough to to keep the purity. Just my thoughts.

I don't have plans of crossing mine with any other breeds at this time, but if there are those that want to play with genetics and have some barnyard eyecandy just for fun, I don't have a problem with someone else doing it... provided folks aren't trying to sell mixes as pure. I don't think anyone on this thread would intentionally do that.

No I don't think so either, just concerned that someone with questionable morals could cause a problem. I was not pointing fingers, just commenting. I love having fun with crossing chickens, I have a barred rock rooster x buff orpington hen I absolutely love him.

Back
Top Bottom