Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Of course if you can't tell did it really happen?
hu.gif

ki4got you say a columbian would work, what about a delaware?
if you want silver, then sure... but i'd go with something buff columbian ideally... otherwise you'll be fighting the silver and would end up back with black and white mottled again, that happen to carry columbian.

speckled sussex, sfh, mille fleur (of any breed), exchecker leghorns too, i believe. they're all based on mottled/columbian genes. the difference being whatever the e-locus is, whether it's on partridge, wheaten, birchen or duckwing even. some varieties also may use Db (aka dark brown, for the color of the chicks) in place of columbian since it has a similar effect, but reacts differently to different e-locus genes (does not work on birchen, while columbian does).

you might read thru the article i have linked (and wrote) in my sig file, if you want to get an idea of what varieties i'm talking about.

This one rooster of mine is trouble. He apparently thinks me carrying a bucket = trouble. He tried to jump at me this morning, and I couldn't catch him. He always quits when he sees me look, but what if I get distracted? I could get into a heap of trouble fast. I'm carrying a rooster catcher tomorrow and nabbing him first and carrying him around as a reminder. His last chance before I rehome him or we cook him. Too bad, as he is the handsomest guy in the flock. I think this all started when I accidentally walked between him and the Cochin flock, which he started roaming with after we slaughtered the roosters he grew up with. Now he thinks he has to defend them from me every morning.

I'm leaning toward natural selection except for attitude. I need gentle birds only. Aggressive need not eat my feed.
rofl. i don't have anyone jumping ME, but i have plenty who get in my way and have to be physically shoved aside by my feet so i can walk with a bucket (very slow going). several bold cochin chicks will jump into the bucket to go for a ride, eating the whole way. LOL of course, my solution is to toss a handful of whatever i've got, away from me (behind preferably) and they all run to go see what that was. gives me a chance to get ahead of them for a few steps.

rofl. i don't have anyone jumping ME, but i have plenty who get in my way and have to be physically shoved aside by my feet so i can walk with a bucket (very slow going). several bold cochin chicks will jump into the bucket to go for a ride, eating the whole way. LOL of course, my solution is to toss a handful of whatever i've got, away from me (behind preferably) and they all run to go see what that was. gives me a chance to get ahead of them for a few steps.
That is exactly like me! I have to shuffle my feet when I go to feed. I always have chickens riding on top of my feet and one or two manage to get on/in the bucket
lau.gif

My sweet Gunnar just started breeding about 3-4 weeks ago... and the other day he "chased" me. Translation: I didn't know he was behind me as I was walking until I felt a gentle bump on my heel. Yup... he made a very half-hearted attempt at flogging me... of course he has nubs for spurs, silly thing! I scooped him up and carried him around for a while. Now I chase him away from me when ever I go out.

It's like a teenager trying to become independent. Funniest thing was when I was holding him, he seemed to really enjoy it. Settled right down. We'll see, but mamma don't play games. I've worked enough with horses and bulldogs - - I'm not letting some bird get the best of me!

My sweet Gunnar just started breeding about 3-4 weeks ago... and the other day he "chased" me. Translation: I didn't know he was behind me as I was walking until I felt a gentle bump on my heel. Yup... he made a very half-hearted attempt at flogging me... of course he has nubs for spurs, silly thing! I scooped him up and carried him around for a while. Now I chase him away from me when ever I go out.

It's like a teenager trying to become independent. Funniest thing was when I was holding him, he seemed to really enjoy it. Settled right down. We'll see, but mamma don't play games. I've worked enough with horses and bulldogs - - I'm not letting some bird get the best of me!
dont hurt that boy just teach him a lesson
tongue.png
he sure is pretty and Im going to need some new blood lines this summer so I might be looking to you!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

frow.gif
Hi everyone, just learned about this thread. I've been reading some of your posts & thought I would join in. I have 10 SFH, mine about about 7 wks old now. Very colorful, I love this breed. I 1st became interested in them while looking for something from Sweden for my DH for Christmas. I came across SFH, I just had to have some! I got my babies strait run, but I think I've lucked out b/c it looks like I've got 1 boy, 9 girls. None have split wing that I can tell so far, and all of my birds are crested. I need to take some new pics, but I'll post a few of the ones I took the day after they arrived @ 3 & 4 wks old.

This last pic is of my little roo "Vanno", his comb was red even at this young age. I've named all my birds after my DH's family since they are all Swedes

frow.gif
Hi everyone, just learned about this thread. I've been reading some of your posts & thought I would join in. I have 10 SFH, mine about about 7 wks old now. Very colorful, I love this breed. I 1st became interested in them while looking for something from Sweden for my DH for Christmas. I came across SFH, I just had to have some! I got my babies strait run, but I think I've lucked out b/c it looks like I've got 1 boy, 9 girls. None have split wing that I can tell so far, and all of my birds are crested. I need to take some new pics, but I'll post a few of the ones I took the day after they arrived @ 3 & 4 wks old.

This last pic is of my little roo "Vanno", his comb was red even at this young age. I've named all my birds after my DH's family since they are all Swedes
Glad to see you found us! Pretty birds I saw them on the facebook page too!

Back
Top Bottom