Swedish Flower Hen Thread

OK. Here are pics for my 2013 Breeding Pen 2. I am starting out with the darkest crested roo and my 10 non crested pullets. Another idea that I am thinking about is basicly "designer" eggs. In other words allowing people to choose what roos and hens that they would like to pair up for hatching eggs from. Obviously they would have to be reserved early enough to pair them up and wait to be sure that the hens have been away from other roosters, and they would be a little more expensive because of the extra labor involved, but it would give you the oportunity to select more toward what you are looking for. What are your thoughts? Would there be any interest in something like that?

Roo KR3 (This will be the only roo in this breeding pen)

KH4 (black/blue) KH2 (mille fleur)

JH2

JH4

JH6

JH8

JH10

JH12

JH16

The only photo that I have of JH14 is with the non crested roo (KR2) from pen 1.

JH14

Oh no!! I'm so sorry! Any idea what could have happened to her?

HUGS!

I really cant tell. Seemed fine when I fed last night. It was snowing pretty hard this morning so I fed later then normal and everyone was out already. Found her in the snow in the run. Coop stays open so they can come and go. No signs of a predator. No signs of injury. No signs of anything wrong at all.
hu.gif
hit.gif

I really cant tell. Seemed fine when I fed last night. It was snowing pretty hard this morning so I fed later then normal and everyone was out already. Found her in the snow in the run. Coop stays open so they can come and go. No signs of a predator. No signs of injury. No signs of anything wrong at all.
hu.gif
hit.gif
So sorry to hear that. I just makes your heart sink.

Im sorry about you losing your bird
hu.gif
I need help if anyone has any ideas! one SFH hatched and its foot is all open and flat not curled like others when they come out......I looked at it and there were strings of the umbilical cord i guess and it was pulled tight around leg I cut it and looks fine but it cant put its foot down yet, just let it go and see what happens?

My babies are here! I have 6 new fluffies! One blondie, two strawberry blondes and three auburns. I have one black one that is about a week older that came from a local person (we had 2, but one died unexpectedly). They already have some wing feathers. They are chirping away in the dining room, where I stuck the brooder.

d5cf7b8bcf1d73688994c15d3af04857.jpg

The photo does not show their color very well. My Nikon had to visit the shop
sad.png
celebrate.gif
Congrats! What precious little puff balls! Makes me even more excited to hatch Bulldogma's eggs- 12 days to go.
fl.gif

What kind of egg productivity are you all getting
For me, abundant! Selling a lot, which is helping with feed costs. I have lights on in the coop in the evenings, though. I'd say my Swede girls lay one every other day. It did take mine until they were well over a year old to begin laying large and extra large eggs. The girls a year and under laying very small to medium.

Since a while bunch of us have new babies, do any of you give vitamins to your chicks?

I was reading way, way back in this thread, and there was some discussion about whether or not vitamins help this breed. Current thinking?
I am convinced these birds can suffer from B-12 deficiency, resulting in curled toes and/or paralysis. I put Poly-vi-sol w/out added iron in the youngsters' water until they are four months old, a couple droppers per gallon. Also, probably a good idea to give UNmedicated chick starter, too- I think it might inhibit absorption of vitamins and minerals.

Back
Top Bottom