Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Question about split wings in these chickens. How common is it and it is a genetic flaw correct? I have week old chicks that I hatched from eggs purchased from BYC member and out of 6 that hatched I have one that both wing feathers stick out and another that it looks like one side sticks out. Split wing is where there is a gap in the wing due to feathers not present. These birds should not be used to breed correct? Thanks for the help.

Question about split wings in these chickens. How common is it and it is a genetic flaw correct? I have week old chicks that I hatched from eggs purchased from BYC member and out of 6 that hatched I have one that both wing feathers stick out and another that it looks like one side sticks out. Split wing is where there is a gap in the wing due to feathers not present. These birds should not be used to breed correct? Thanks for the help.
I thought all my roos had split wing until they were about 3-4 months old, I was told to wait till they're fully feathered out before determining if they have split wing. As they feathered out, they're wing feathers filled out and they are all completely fine now. I wouldn't freak out about it yet. I did and it drove my hubby nuts!
hugs.gif

i wouldn't cull based on chicks that young, sometimes the axial feathers just take a bit longer to grow in... wait and evaluate about around 4-5 months old, once their adult feathering is completely grown in.

I hatched out 8 little pure chicks yesterday!
woot.gif
Very colorful and a few with cute little crests. I was fighting the incubator on humidity the whole time but the 8 that hatched are FAT and healthy.
big_smile.png
I'll try and get some pics soon when they're dry!

Mine too!! Someone on Facebook asked me why I keep posting about them and why I want them so much? MY reply was because of the rarity of the breed I wanted to help do my part in the preservation of these birds and I want to get them around to shows and bring this breed before the public and hopefully get it to be a recognized breed by the American Poultry Association! I did a search on google for the worlds rares chicken and this is one of the breeds that came up, I saw pictures and fell in love, and said to myself that is the breed I want my last 4H project to be!! And a side bonus not just the roosters a colorful like some other breeds!!

From the information I have read about the breed here in the Uk is that the SFH is a landrace breed which means it has been developed by natural, local processes. This is what makes it special and different from other formal breeds that are bred to a particular standard or purpose. Each bird is very different. Why does it have to be a recognised breed? Don't you think that is going to change what is special about these birds?

From the information I have read about the breed here in the Uk is that the SFH is a landrace breed which means it has been developed by natural, local processes. This is what makes it special and different from other formal breeds that are bred to a particular standard or purpose. Each bird is very different. Why does it have to be a recognised breed? Don't you think that is going to change what is special about these birds?
I think most people that oppose making a standard for these birds look no further than color. Swedish Flower Hens are already a recognizable breed. Perhaps it should be looked into making a standard with no reference to feather color.

A standard would stop people from changing what is special about these birds.

Quote: i agree and disagree... it needs to be recognized as a valid breed, but at the same time, it's not really a neritage breed (at least here in the US), since the heritage breeds are defined as :

Quote from the ALBC: In this respect, they are NOT considered a heritage breed here in the US. but as a breed of importance elsewhere, I'll agree.

if it could be established with the APA with breed standards that were slightly variable (color patterns, crest or not, etc) that would be good, but the APA seems to require more strict guidelines regarding breed definitions and getting breeds recognized.

Craig Russell works with the SPPA, and their guidelines are
Quote: this definition seems a bit more relaxed and in this respect the SFH might be considered an antiquity, at least in sweden, but not here in the US...

so yes, the breed should some how be recognized for it's value and history, i think actually getting it 'recognized' officially would be a death sentence for the variety and utility of the breed.

So today my rooster, 2 Face, attacked my 2 year old for the second time. I actually caught him this time (a about ripped out his tail feathers, but I caught him) and carried him around for about 20 mins. He was not happy. He was yelling at me and struggling. I finally got him settled down and he started crowing while we were walking around. After I put him down He sure did calm down a bit. Silly bird!

So today my rooster, 2 Face, attacked my 2 year old for the second time. I actually caught him this time (a about ripped out his tail feathers, but I caught him) and carried him around for about 20 mins. He was not happy. He was yelling at me and struggling. I finally got him settled down and he started crowing while we were walking around. After I put him down He sure did calm down a bit. Silly bird!
I'd get rid of him. I sure would not give him an opportunity to do it a third time. There are too many nice roosters out there to worry about an aggressive one, and a rooster could do serious damage to a 2 year old.

Back
Top Bottom