Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Got 2 new SFH yesterday and Im so excited! They are 12 weeks old and hopefully both pullets. I cant wait to see how their colors come in!

bigger comb but its pale and has no wattles at all.

redder in the face and small wattles but comb is tiny! She has such a long beak!

Last edited:
After lurking here a bit, how do you decide what roo to keep?! They're all pretty and each succeeding one is prettier than the last.
If you go about looking at each point systematically instead of trying to compare the whole package at once, you may find it easier to narrow it down.

First, you want to eliminate any that show any human aggression. Then from those left, look to see if they have any features that you don't want to breed into your flock - split wing, side sprigs, curled toes, crests that are too big, etc., and eliminate those. Then look for traits you want to breed into your flock, like size, color, temperament, crested/non-crested. Out of the ones that make it this far, watch them around the hens for a while. Look for the roo that seems to be the most vigilant and is not too aggressive with the hens (jumps them every chance he gets, chases them when they are trying to eat, etc.). A good roo should call his girls to eat when you bring food or treats and lets them eat first, and is always on the lookout for predators and gives the alarm when one approaches. The longer you watch your flock, the clearer your answer will become.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I started laughing hysterically at that?

Poor roo - but yeah - either I would separate them if it were possible or find another job for the OE.

I have a Silkie hen who gets wacky hairdos from her suitors when they breed her.

(And she looks so happy about it!)
You can't see it, but she has male pattern baldness on the top...
lau.gif
loving it!!!

If you go about looking at each point systematically instead of trying to compare the whole package at once, you may find it easier to narrow it down.

First, you want to eliminate any that show any human aggression. Then from those left, look to see if they have any features that you don't want to breed into your flock - split wing, side sprigs, curled toes, crests that are too big, etc., and eliminate those. Then look for traits you want to breed into your flock, like size, color, temperament, crested/non-crested. Out of the ones that make it this far, watch them around the hens for a while. Look for the roo that seems to be the most vigilant and is not too aggressive with the hens (jumps them every chance he gets, chases them when they are trying to eat, etc.). A good roo should call his girls to eat when you bring food or treats and lets them eat first, and is always on the lookout for predators and gives the alarm when one approaches. The longer you watch your flock, the clearer your answer will become.

Good luck!
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it doesn't tell the whole story, does it? Thanks KYTinpusher.

RedRidge he's a pretty little boy, I like his coloring!

SeattleLeah both have nice coloring, the top looks like a pullet- the other might be too, but some of the crested roos will fool you for a while. I had 1 that was obviously a boy @ 3wks, then a few months later 3 more of my 'pullets' turned out to be cockerels
ep.gif
For the longest time their combs looked like your 2nd chick & they had very little wattle development which I also see in the pic of yours- so just give it time...

SL - lovely pullets!

Here's Dweezil (my second cockerel)... 11 weeks old...

He's beautiful! I don't have any Gunnar sons that color - he has more red and less blue than most I've had. LOVE him! How is his comb? Any sprigs? His legs seem to be spread nicely - a good wide stance which might suggest he'll be nice and wide when he is bigger. He is nicely proportionate... looks like you got a good one there!

Think another pullet is about to begin laying...Wasp has started hanging out with her instead of hassling people. Too bad they are both crested.

Back
Top Bottom