Swedish Flower Hen Thread

well, we found a home for my crested boy... think he was part of the problem with my girls not laying... when he was on the ground lately, (in the new pens) they would be up in the house roosting with Gunnarsson. don't think they liked him. today I went down to feed/water and all 4 are on the ground rooting around looking for something to eat LOL.

and
fl.gif
big time! I just set 18 eggs from Bazinga's girls (wildhorseannie - THANKS!!!) plus 21 eggs from Leigh, for myself and Leigh.

it was great meeting you finally Marcia!

Leigh took the remaining SFH chicks I hatched, including my 3 week-er and put them with Darth Bator, who was ecstatic to have a family again! LOL Walli, your chicks went between Leigh, Tony, and ridinshotgun, who were, I think, all glad to have the new bloodline!

got to see ridinshotgun's sfh yesterday, he's got a nice assortment of youngsters (all hatched in may, by myself, from dahlisgram and Leigh's eggs). didn't find any extra pullets at all, but i'm sure between the chicks that went with Leigh and the eggs I just set, we'll have at least a few by spring...

and on a side note, a local person who took one of Leigh's extra roos (Viking) for flock protector (was going to take one of mine but he got 'et the day before) has now decided she HAS to have a girl to go with him now. Glad to see they're so addictive. LOL unfortunately I didn't find any extras at all (except a couple that looked like mutts, or roos).

Hi there, I was hoping someone could I.D. the breed of this 2 month chick. It was sold to me as a SFH. Could this be true? I haven't seen another pic of SFHs looking like this black and white one before.

Thank you!

Hi there, I was hoping someone could I.D. the breed of this 2 month chick. It was sold to me as a SFH. Could this be true? I haven't seen another pic of SFHs looking like this black and white one before.

Thank you!
I agree, the chick isn't mottled, it's barred... and VERY likely a roo to boot.

I have a blue girl with mottling and very little red. bred to a black-based roo, it's quite likely she'd give me some black mottled birds with some red leakage. we'll see when she starts laying again.

it was great meeting you finally Marcia!

Leigh took the remaining SFH chicks I hatched, including my 3 week-er and put them with Darth Bator, who was ecstatic to have a family again! LOL Walli, your chicks went between Leigh, Tony, and ridinshotgun, who were, I think, all glad to have the new bloodline!

Walli (I assume that you are KYTInpusher) looks like I finally got some of your chicks in VA!
yesss.gif
I really looking forward to seeing them grow out. Many thanks to Karen for selling them to me. Many thanks also to Leigh for two of here Mace/Ginger chicks and the SFH hatching eggs.

Marcia, it was good to meet you. You are on my list to catch the next time around for some additional SFH stock. It was a nice morning with as much socializing as chicken shopping.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have read that SFH produce very large eggs for their size? Have those of you who keep them found this to be true? About how many do you get a week?

I have heard they are calm, sweet and people oriented, has that also been everyones experience? (For reference I consider D'Uccles to have the ideal chicken personality.)

Also, how much do they weigh? I read around 5LBs but that seems low to me, but then maybe I'm just used to the heavy brown egg layers!

I would say bigger than medium, almost large egg size...I have three hens and everyday I get three eggs and at least two days a week, I get four eggs. Very consistent...I would them par with my white leghorns.

Mine were not tame when I got them but very tame now....they see me (and food/treats) and come running....very friendly and good foragers.

I like mine so much that I am expanding my flock to be one of the primary egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom