Swedish Flower Hen Thread

One of the SFH roos I'm looking at seems to have a rose comb?  All the other roos and hens seem to have a single comb.  Is this normal to have these sort of variations?
I've tried to post pictures and BYC isn't letting me currently. 

I would be EXTREMELY wary of that being a SFH, unless perhaps they have a really good reason for him not having a comb...like frostbite. I say that because it does appear one of my guys is going to lose almost his entire comb, but I still don't think it will look like a rosecomb. So be careful. A photo would be helpful.

Any LGD breed does not mature until at least 2 years of age.  They are in need of supervision and training up to that point..............and some will take longer, and some will take less time.  Males generally take longer than females, as a general rule of thumb, and like any rule only applies quite generally.  :)  It's a "big breed" type of thing that doesn't just apply to LGD's.  Ideally, an LGD will be trained by it's parent(s) to the correct behaviors in a working capacity.  When you don't own the parents, or an older dog to train the new pup, then you have to be the parent.  For as long as it takes.  

I've been employing LGD's for many years here, couldn't run this ranch without them, and they are paid well for their efforts.  :) There are many working in different capacities that are assigned when they show me their particular area of expertise.  No LGD gets a permanent job here until they have passed the 2 year old mark, or more, depending on the individual dog. We all have our own methods of raising these dogs to work, just keep in mind that if you set the pup up for failure, it will fail.  Try to make every incidence as positive as possible.................and maybe find a way with fencing/electric fencing to keep pups from having direct access to live birds until they can understand that the fast movement of birds is not an invitation to chase/play fetch with.  :)

LGD's raised well are the most awesome beings!!!!  :)

Doc

Oh, I know all of that ;) I have worked with dogs for many, many years, I happen to also be a veterinarian, I researched LGDs specifically beginning before we even moved here, and have several friends with them as well. We have done very well I think, and I'm very happy with how my dogs are turning out. They are about 8-9 months old now and have already done a great job against the predators. They are out there now. We adapted to allow the birds to free range but keep the dogs away, which has worked out very well.

Everyone I know says they have had more trouble with their female LGDs pestering birds and just in general. Mine seem to be like that as well...I have more trouble with her thinking up "games" and getting into things and just being more needy than my boy. He seems to just be along for the ride, lol. A friend of mine has described her female LGDs as divas, lol. They are great dogs, and I'm already thinking ahead to when I might add a third dog, perhaps an Akbash or Anatolian, in 3-5 years.

No - Swedish Flowers ONLY have single combs... but I wonder if the roo has an abundance of side sprigs on his comb which would give it a wider appearance? This can be genetic.

Sometimes crested birds will have a comb with an "S" curve, too.

Thanks guys, I will try to post a picture later. For some reason it won't let me right now. :(

I am looking for SFH's in central Pennsylvania area. Can anyone help?

best thing I can suggest, both myself and Bulldogma will be bringing a BUNCH of sfh to the swap in Glen Allen VA in May (first Saturday). I don't ship, not sure if she will or not. but i'm growing out everything I can hatch right now. I've got 12 outside already, another 12 in the intermediate brooder and 17 in the youngest bunch... waiting on more eggs to come my way hopefully soon. 8)

Boo. I think my youngest roo is going to lose most of his comb to frostbite, courtesy of that polar vortex. He is kind of a loner, sleeps on the end of the roost and took the brunt of the wind the night it was at its worst, when it was -20 to -35 here, and ripped the front plastic I had nailed up off the coop :(

Heck, I got frost nipped myself that day in just a few minutes out there...the wind across my place was brutal.

But he won't ever get frostbite again, I guess. Sigh. But meanwhile, he looks pathetic.

Boo. I think my youngest roo is going to lose most of his comb to frostbite, courtesy of that polar vortex. He is kind of a loner, sleeps on the end of the roost and took the brunt of the wind the night it was at its worst, when it was -20 to -35 here, and ripped the front plastic I had nailed up off the coop
sad.png

Heck, I got frost nipped myself that day in just a few minutes out there...the wind across my place was brutal.

But he won't ever get frostbite again, I guess. Sigh. But meanwhile, he looks pathetic.

Awww - sorry. My boy Blue got a touch of frostbite on his comb and wattles. He has the BIGGEST comb and wattles of any SFH roo I've ever had. Nobody else was affected, thankfully.

Awww - sorry. My boy Blue got a touch of frostbite on his comb and wattles. He has the BIGGEST comb and wattles of any SFH roo I've ever had. Nobody else was affected, thankfully.

You know, knowing how you keep birds and how I keep them, we have always heard its a lack of ventilation, too high a humidity, that causes frostbite. I now question that. But I'm still not going to heat my coops. The risk of fire, to me, is too high.

How about just plain COLD? I hope it's never like that here again!!!! I'm definitely not cut out to live in Alaska or Siberia, lol.

Last edited:
My SFH was the only chicken of my flock to get frostbite on his comb, for some reason. And he doesn't have a very large comb.

Back
Top Bottom