Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Can anyone tell me what a good price range is for a breeding quad of SFH would be?  They are GFF stock.  The roo is crested, one hen is crested and 2 aren't.  They are varying colors.  I know there are many variables but I'm curious what you've seen them going for?
I'd post a picture but I can't seem to upload them right now. 

I'm seeing $35/bird for young stock, when you can find them. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a 2 year old hen.

I am looking for SFH's in central Pennsylvania area. Can anyone help?
I bought my hatching eggs from a guy in York who was selling them on E-Bay. I drove to pick them up. If you want more info, I can try to look him up.
I live near Reading. I don't have any for sale now, but hopefully in a few months. Would you want eggs or chicks?

Hello, all of you chicken lovers. My name is Fanny. I just joined this site in order to find a Blommehona, a Swedish Flower Hen. I live in Snohomish Washington. I have heard that there is a woman in Carnation who has them. I am Swedish, so I thought I ought to be having one, and besides they do look lovely and would match rest of my flock really well.. Would be so grateful for a tip!
Hi Fanny, I hope you can find some. They are pretty birds. My grandmother was the daughter of Swedish immigrants. She was raised in High Point, near Issaquah, WA.

Last edited:
So...what happened to our driving chain? I'd like to get some of those VA birds over to the South Bend, Indiana area....
I know someone that will be driving from eastern PA to the Chicago area in mid-March, but I don't know if she could be persuaded to haul extra cargo. Maybe eggs, but probably not birds,

I have a question but I wanted to let you guys know how excited I am to have my first quad of SFH!!! I picked them up today and they are in quarantine for now. Happy dance!

I was going over GFF's website and saw they have a pic of a heavily crested roo. His crest seems larger or as large as the roo I posted yesterday...? I'm definitely a novice to this breed but how can you tell when a crest is too large?

Quote:
Dilute (Di) - dominant, dilutes red and gold pigments.
Champagne Blond (Cb) - dominant, dilutes gold pigments.
Inhibitor of Gold (ig) - recessive, changes gold pigments to yellow (lemon).

note here, many times gold and red are the same color, used interchangeably

so if it's dominant, it would be 50%. but who would be the carrier? do you have anyone with lighter than normal red pigments?

Dilute (Di) - dominant, dilutes red and gold pigments.
Champagne Blond (Cb) - dominant, dilutes gold pigments.
Inhibitor of Gold (ig) - recessive, changes gold pigments to yellow (lemon).

note here, many times gold and red are the same color, used interchangeably

so if it's dominant, it would be 50%. but who would be the carrier? do you have anyone with lighter than normal red pigments?

Just the one pullet. Wouldn't she pass that down to some of her offspring? Or do I need to find a roo that also has the diluted red?

Quote:
well, i'm pretty sure someone carries mahogany, as I had a mahogany-blue girl from you (lost), so mahogany plus dilute is buff. looking at alma, she may be the culprit...
the best thing to do is a test breeding. if you can cage her separately when she starts laying, possibly with mace to make sure of HIS chicks, then see what hatches. unless he's got the mahogany coloring too... ? k.i.forgot strikes yet again.

like the eggs I had marked for lockdown for today, opened up the incubator this morning and there sat 2 beautiful mille fleur cochin chicks. so the rest of the eggs went to the hatcher. the other pipped one is out now, another pipped and a third working on it still. I think the others may have quit.

well, i'm pretty sure someone carries mahogany, as I had a mahogany-blue girl from you (lost), so mahogany plus dilute is buff. looking at alma, she may be the culprit...
the best thing to do is a test breeding. if you can cage her separately when she starts laying, possibly with mace to make sure of HIS chicks, then see what hatches. unless he's got the mahogany coloring too... ?

Yes - I plan to have some breeding pens going at some point in the not too distant future, and I plan to put her with Mace.

How do I tell if Mace has mahogany?

He has dark red plumage where I *expect* to see it on a roo, but his lower body red parts aren't too dark. Your opinion?

This is Alma's coloration - basically red with blue flowering.

Ginger and Astrid's red seems darker than Almas?

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom