Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Blue would be a softer grey and black would, of course, be black, yes?

Blue will be any light gray, blue, dark gray, and almost black... and black will be very black.
smile.png

Blue would be a softer grey and black would, of course, be black, yes?

well, yes, black is black.

blue can be anything from a pale soft grey to more of a battleship grey. there's a wide variation depending on restricting and enhancing mutations that may be present (too many to keep track of unless you need one for a specific variation - which sfh don't...) AND blue is a nice uniform shade through out the body. sometimes the darker blues will have an even darker band around the outer edge. that's normal to the dark blues...

and then splash is pretty much a white with 'splashes' of blue or back scattered around the body.

these are pics for blue laced red Wyandottes, but gives you a range of blues...
(all my own birds, except for the ones labeled as Jerry Foley's...)

Big'un is a very dark blue

Shim and Chicken Dinner are both medium blues

This is one of Jerry Foley's blrw, but he seems to prefer a much lighter blue.

Lacy is a splash (arrows pointing out the splashes of color) on a lighter feather.

Smee shows the darker edge around a lighter blue that many blues might show. this is not related to the lacing but characteristic of the blue gene itself.

Last edited:
well, yes, black is black. blue can be anything from a pale soft grey to more of a battleship grey. there's a wide variation depending on restricting and enhancing mutations that may be present (too many to keep track of unless you need one for a specific variation - which sfh don't...) AND blue is a nice uniform shade through out the body. sometimes the darker blues will have an even darker band around the outer edge. that's normal to the dark blues... and then splash is pretty much a white with 'splashes' of blue or back scattered around the body. these are pics for blue laced red Wyandottes, but gives you a range of blues... (all my own birds, except for the ones labeled as Jerry Foley's...) Big'un is a very dark blue Shim and Chicken Dinner are both medium blues This is one of Jerry Foley's blrw, but he seems to prefer a much lighter blue. Lacy is a splash (arrows pointing out the splashes of color) on a lighter feather. Smee shows the darker edge around a lighter blue that many blues might show. this is not related to the lacing but characteristic of the blue gene itself.
Black is black... now I'm going to have that song in my head all day! ;) Great info and beautiful birds!

shim and chicken dinner are both his sons... and both larger than he is! the pictures didn't show them at their best, they'd just got done gorging on FF so the crops look like huge tumors LOL

LOL! Do you still have Lacy (AKA Ms. November) or was she one that was lost to predators? Such a stunning girl!

Quote:
yup. and 2 of her chicks in with the sfh. I have several chicks from the cochin pen, but occasional free ranging may have 'corrupted' some of her eggs. LOL I think there are a couple weebies in the mix. (and 2 known weebies to boot!)

ETA: 'Ms November' is quite securely locked up with Big'Un... much to his dislike. (of being locked up, not of her...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom