Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Some of what we are calling white may not be an absolute pure white but it's so close that sitting beside a tan egg or out in the sun it looks pretty white. What I believe happened is that my friend sold some eggs to this person and the person concluded that she wasn't getting pure SFH eggs because some eggs were tan and others were "white". Apparently she was pretty upset about it. At some point I understand this lady even called Jennifer at GFF and Jenny said SFH only lay tan eggs so that made things even worse. Maybe Jennifer is thinking that even an extremely light egg is still "tan" but all I know is that some of our birds DO lay white eggs and some of these hens are direct GFF birds.
The egg that GFF has on their SFH page looks pretty light to me. Not absolutely white, but close.

While there I noticed that they now have Swedish Black Hens. Wow, I thought I might want a couple. Then I looked at the price.
ep.gif

I was just up checking on my eggs. Nothing is happening. I leave for work in a couple hours. I'm hoping to come home to some pips.
Interestingly enough, the white eggs seem to be doing better than the tan eggs.

Hatch news, folks! All 4 of the SFH hatched without issue and are now snuggled up in the brooder with the three Wheaten Marans chicks that hatched at the same time. Looks like I've got 2 splash, 1 black mille fleur-type, and 1 I am not exactly sure of the pattern. It will be fun to see how they turn out when real feathers come in. I bought 2 rabbit hutches, one double and one single, to use as chick brooders this year but with it being about 15 degrees outside, the recent chicks are keeping warm in the pantry for now. No way am I turning them into peepsicles!

Oh, I just thought to add: Everything hatched in the morning of day 22. Lots had pipped on day 21 but no one was out until I got up Sunday morning. The incubator seemed stable temperature-wise and the air in our house is so dry right now that I did keep water in the incubator the whole time. As the humidity goes up later in the spring (and face it, that's inevitable in Virginia) I might try a dry hatch but so far so good with the regular means.

Last edited:
I was just up checking on my eggs. Nothing is happening. I leave for work in a couple hours. I'm hoping to come home to some pips.
Interestingly enough, the white eggs seem to be doing better than the tan eggs.
fl.gif

Hatch news, folks! All 4 of the SFH hatched without issue and are now snuggled up in the brooder with the three Wheaten Marans chicks that hatched at the same time. Looks like I've got 2 splash, 1 black mille fleur-type, and 1 I am not exactly sure of the pattern. It will be fun to see how they turn out when real feathers come in. I bought 2 rabbit hutches, one double and one single, to use as chick brooders this year but with it being about 15 degrees outside, the recent chicks are keeping warm in the pantry for now. No way am I turning them into peepsicles!

Oh, I just thought to add: Everything hatched in the morning of day 22. Lots had pipped on day 21 but no one was out until I got up Sunday morning. The incubator seemed stable temperature-wise and the air in our house is so dry right now that I did keep water in the incubator the whole time. As the humidity goes up later in the spring (and face it, that's inevitable in Virginia) I might try a dry hatch but so far so good with the regular means.
jumpy.gif

Just talked with Walli! She's alive and well :D
So glad to hear she's OK!!!!!

so here are the blue isbar/SFH crosses, all three of which (out of 3 eggs set) hatched overnight:

they look very isbar-ish to start, but i'll be interested to see if/when the distinctive SFH flocking starts kicking in!

this is a picture of their mom:

astrid

and dad, the blue isbar:

blue

How is everybody's weather?

Raise your hand if you like balloons.

Squirrel.

And on to far more interesting thoughts, who here will be hatching Swedish Flower chicks this spring?
A)70F then ice storm then <20F then 40s all in the past 36 hrs, again, ugh...at least the electrical stayed on for my bator!
B)balloons, not really actually
C)indeed. saw one at neighbor's yesterday
D) ME! --
DH told me he saw "BV" covering Flo this am, then I noticed today BV was covering ALL the girls, apparently he figured it out ;>
ALSO along w/ the 2lbue&green eggs from the older pullets I put in there last wkend today I got a HUGE egg, literally twice the girth at the fat end & 1.5x the length of the blue & grn eggs, & poor dear somewhat bloodied but w/ a first spring egg THIS big totally understandable and the color was a light tan kinda creamy pink so odds are good this was from Flo , I'll not bank on it until I'm sure all the other pullets in there (besides the ?SFH pullet/roo) are truly laying blue-green eggs but all things considered I believe Flo is both laying AND being covered by BV and the egg was Jumbo so when I have room in the bator next week I will set the most recent 4ish eggs to get started!!

so here are the blue isbar/SFH crosses, all three of which (out of 3 eggs set) hatched overnight:

they look very isbar-ish to start, but i'll be interested to see if/when the distinctive SFH flocking starts kicking in!

this is a picture of their mom:

astrid

and dad, the blue isbar:

blue

OOOh Astrid is very pretty, I Iike her ginger coloring, more orange than tan. Mr Isbar is nice too, 1st pic I've seen of that breed. Should be a pretty cross, although surely someone near to you could help you get Astrid a proper SFH boyfriend for future chicks... right ya'll?? ...can't let a pretty SFH gal be just a "wall flower" now can we ;>
Anybody have 12-18 SFH eggs they can ship asap from a healthy flock?
I wish, sigh, maybe next yr...good luck in your quest!

Back
Top Bottom