Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I believe it is when they have just started laying or have just started back laying. I get these sometimes to from my older layers and younger layers.

Yeah I think you're right in that it's the "new" layers that are more likely to do this. I may have also read something about stress causing it but they hadn't had any new stress lately so I'm going to figure it's the new layer reason. Aren't these tiny eggs suppose to be without a yolk?

Last edited:
Yeah I think you're right in that it's the "new" layers that are more likely to do this. I may have also read something about stress causing it but they hadn't had any new stress lately so I'm going to figure it's the new layer reason. Aren't these tiny eggs suppose to be without a yolk?

Mine usually have either yolk or the egg white in them.

Just thought I'd share this. The tiny egg at top came from my SFH pen today. The larger egg isn't even quite a "large". I would say it's more of a medium egg so that tells you how small the other is. Every once is a while I've had eggs like this from other breeds I have but this is my first SFH mini egg! I don't remember the reasons why these tiny eggs occasionally occur but they always amaze me!
I think that's what they call a fairy egg!

Sigh....no SFH chicks for me. I give up on hatching the darn things. Out of my current batch of 15 I received, today is day 23 and I only have one handicapped chick that hatched Saturday morning with assistance and it still can not stand up nor move aside from lay on its side and kick its legs a little. I just ordered 12+ chicks to be sent out Monday from Fishers Poultry. My husband balked at the price of buying chicks and the shipping cost but I said hey, I've got $90 stuck into two chicks! And one is a mutt. He just said fine, lol.

I am determined to have these beautiful birds. Now fingers crossed the PO doesn't lose or kill my chicks as I've had a couple of bad experiences with that.

well, don't tell the 'dorking' people, but I think the sfh have taken the lead on my heart...

I've been letting the juvenile boys free range during the day. so funny watching them stampede to me every time one sees me.

well, the wind has knocked the roof off the pens (thankfully no rain till later in the week). and it blew their door shut, so they couldn't go to bed on time...

I walked down to their door, talking to them as I went. opened their door and all 6 ran right in, turned around and looked at me, then jumped up to the house and went to bed...

NO other breed I've ever had would be that happy about being let back into their house.
Awwww... yeah - they're awesome!

Sigh....no SFH chicks for me. I give up on hatching the darn things. Out of my current batch of 15 I received, today is day 23 and I only have one handicapped chick that hatched Saturday morning with assistance and it still can not stand up nor move aside from lay on its side and kick its legs a little. I just ordered 12+ chicks to be sent out Monday from Fishers Poultry. My husband balked at the price of buying chicks and the shipping cost but I said hey, I've got $90 stuck into two chicks! And one is a mutt. He just said fine, lol.

I am determined to have these beautiful birds. Now fingers crossed the PO doesn't lose or kill my chicks as I've had a couple of bad experiences with that.
I'm so sorry about your failed hatch! They are one of the hardest breeds to hatch - especially if you haven't had a lot of experience hatching. If you ever want, I'll send you replacement eggs for just the price of shipping.

I am putting another 12 shipped SFH eggs on lock down tonight and have a question or two. I was thinking of setting these upright because of space issues. Can I just unplug the auto turners? Also what % humidity is do you all recommend for for lock down? I have used dry incubation through out.

Insanity, I hatch in egg cartons with the bottoms cut out. Hatching in the turners would be very messy. Egg cartons can just be tossed.I shoot for 60%

Last edited:
Thanks Puglady, I'll just lay them down then. That's how I usually do it. 60%... that explains the 3 I lost on the last hatch. I had it closer to 75-80% because I'm paranoid about shrink wrapping.

Here's last weeks hatch.

Back
Top Bottom