Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Oh so neat! Congratulations on a great hatch Cackle! I have 5 EOBasque I am very excited to have and watch grow out. I think I was fortunate and have 4 pullets and one roo. I hadn't intended to keep a roo, but have fallen for them a great deal. I only have 2 coops and pens, and my resident head roo is a beautiful black/lav split Ameraucana named Clark. He's been so good around here, I hate to part with him and have a tough decision down the road. I love the blue egg gene and having him around to make lots of EE's or Ameraucana's. I lost my his breed partner due to my stupidity of forgetting she was left out of the closed coop door.. Still feel so awful about that. She had a horrible history of laying though. My intention was to have the new coop and run for the SFH's and then the other for my mixed breeds and Clark. I have to see how this EO roo grows out, and if he is a nice well mannered boy, I may just have to change plans. How long have you owned the EO Basque breed, and are you liking them?

Pictures, Pictures please!

MB
I think there are pictures of my Basque on the Basque thread. Somewhere :) It doesn't move terribly fast so you might be able to find them.

We do like them for friendliness but nothing tops the Swedes for pure flash! We have 6 breeding pens so I get to keep both the EOB and SFH AND BBS Ameraucana's. That makes me happy as I love them all. The AM's don't lay any where near as well as the SFH and EOB.

If you were looking for pictures of the new chicks - I just havn't had time. Just home from a birth and have a lot to do getting ready for a big school fundraiser.

I've got to give major props to Bulldogma for some great eggs!!!
bow.gif

Received my eggs through the mail and 12 of the 13 have veining seen on day 6! Such an AWESOME rate for shipped eggs!!!
Doing my happy dance!!!!
wee.gif
Woohooooo! That's fantastic! Fingers crossed they all progress and hatch for you!
fl.gif

What she said, X2
big_smile.png

I say, I say, I say, TGIF!!!!!!

love.gif

I am doing a final cull of my SFH from my last hatch. I am not great at sexing birds so I want to see if you folks confirm what I am thinking.

Duke... my roo. We know for sure what he is... the crested one is his first offspring.

If anyone sees any of my boys they are interesting in, let me know. The ones I'm not confident are pullets are going bye, bye on Tuesday, but I'd hang on to one if I had a buyer.

Wow! Just heard about this breed today. Thinking this may be my next addition! They seem like great birds! I'm wondering if most of y'all hatched eggs or ordered chicks? Do SFH eggs come up on BYC often? This would be my first unique breed.

Last edited:
Wow! Just heard about this breed today. Thinking this may be my next addition! They seem like great birds! I'm wondering if most of y'all hatched eggs or ordered chicks? Do SFH eggs come up on BYC often? This would be my first unique breed.
frow.gif
Welcome! Many of us have hatching eggs available, myself included. There are some breeders in Oklahoma that you may be able to get eggs and/or chicks from so you don't have to have them shipped. They will probably chime in shortly. You will love this breed!

You must first register with the Center for Disease Control as you may now or soon to be in the future, be stricken with a rare Swedish virus that may be quite difficult to eradicate. Get help while you can!!! And Welcome!

MB

Last edited:
@Melabella
Question for you - and for others too!

Do you find that your SFH are more amicable flock mates than the other breeds you've had/have? How do you like the personality and flock interaction compared to other breeds you've had?

Back
Top Bottom