Swedish Flower Hen Thread

@esme13
They're nice, big chickens but they're not huge. Mine are larger than my Dominiques but a touch smaller than my Marans, if that helps. It depends, too, on the SFH because there is a decent amount of variation in size with this breed.

@esme13
They're nice, big chickens but they're not huge. Mine are larger than my Dominiques but a touch smaller than my Marans, if that helps. It depends, too, on the SFH because there is a decent amount of variation in size with this breed.
Thank you TheelchickinKY, can you tell if they are crested or non-crested when just hatched? and do you know if they can be feather sexed? thank you

22 week old cockerel growing up nice and colorful.

@esme13
Glad I could help! I can't speak to the crests personally as I've never had crested birds (though I gather you can usually tell if you have one pretty darn quickly). As for feather sexing, the hens' color tends to appear more muted, particularly the mahogany/red/gold tones. If a chick starts developing deep red as opposed to a soft orange, it's a rooster. But at hatch, no, there's no color sexing that I'm aware of. You'll know for most of them when the feathers start coming in.

Thank you both Theelchickinky and bulldogmama for the good advice,

Lisalouhoo, you have such a handsome rooster. Now I need spring to hurry up :)

@esme13

I found this picture from my Swedish hatch last July. There are 4 roosters - see the dark mahogany on them? Note the white girl in the middle with the light orange instead. Good luck, and post pictures!

esme13

I found this picture from my Swedish hatch last July. There are 4 roosters - see the dark mahogany on them? Note the white girl in the middle with the light orange instead. Good luck, and post pictures!

Lovely reference, deep red combs as well. I see the males also have a splash of other colors already happening. How old were they? I love the light orange color chick.

Back
Top Bottom