Swedish Flower Hen Thread

It could still be a nutrition issue. From the reading I've done, it appears some individuals exhibit a need for a higher amount of certain nutrients. There also seems to be some research that shows that certain deficiencies may not show obvious symptoms in an adult, but that it does affect the health of their offspring. In the offspring, the symptoms of deficiency can show much earlier.

It's a really interesting field of study if you like reading about that sort of thing (which I do just in general)....

Of course, it may be something totally different! But it's at least worth considering.

Edited because of a sentence that needed to be fixed.
tongue.png

Of course the exact reason is just best guess but I will add that this particular rooster came from eggs I got from someone else and out of those eggs I hatched, there were several that had toes with issues. I didn't keep any of those and this particular rooster had perfect feet but then his chicks were developing it too while others weren't. I understand what you are saying. Maybe this particular line needed more of certain nutrients than the others. Interesting topic for sure. Thanks

I am heartbroken. I haven't even been able to post it until now. I lost Astolf last week.
hit.gif
I saw blood on him after the last hawk attack where I lost my "chocolate" hen. I looked him over and didn't find anything. I thought it must have been from someone else, or just a nick somewhere, and he seemed to be fine as I watched him the next few days. I must have missed something. It must have festered and with the harsh weather we have been having, he passed away during one of the really cold nights last week. I am so hoping there is one in the incubator like him, although I know I will never be able to replace him. R.I.P. Astolf.

So sorry, he was beautiful. Wishing you luck with your hatch!

Good morning all!
I've enjoyed reading many of your posts and I am considering this breed. A couple of questions. Are they friendly overall? Do they tolerate being held and handled? How are the Roos in general? thanks for your opinions in advance.

Stacey

Good morning all!
I've enjoyed reading many of your posts and I am considering this breed. A couple of questions. Are they friendly overall? Do they tolerate being held and handled? How are the Roos in general? thanks for your opinions in advance.

Stacey

Hi. I have had this breed for about 2 yrs. Overall I would say they are curious and tame easily. I have however had some that were a bit high strung but those are no longer in my flock. I have been selecting for the calmer temperament in what I have been breeding for. Do they "like" being held? Well if they are held from early age they don't mind. Overall I really like the personality of these birds. On roosters... I know a few have said the roos can be aggressive. I have had only one rooster that was any problem and it was with my daughter. She would sort of tease him and that created the problem. With me, none have been aggressive.

Hi. I have had this breed for about 2 yrs. Overall I would say they are curious and tame easily. I have however had some that were a bit high strung but those are no longer in my flock. I have been selecting for the calmer temperament in what I have been breeding for. Do they "like" being held? Well if they are held from early age they don't mind. Overall I really like the personality of these birds. On roosters... I know a few have said the roos can be aggressive.  I have had only one rooster that was any problem and it was with my daughter. She would sort of tease him and that created the problem. With me, none have been aggressive.

Thanks for the reply. Your flock is lovely
1f60a.png

That's what I suspected. I have a 6year old and my family is a bit nervous about having roosters around so hearing that they are not aggressive overall is great. I imagined there would be one occasionally. Also not looking for cuddly chickens, but would prefer a fairly calm temperment and birds that are easy to handle. I've been communicating with a lady in Woodville who sells on eBay about getting chicks next month. Looking forward to it. Perhaps I should've asked questions earlier!

Guess what breed my latest art piece is?
Beautiful! I really enjoy all the wonderful pictures you post - both here and on FB.

I am heartbroken. I haven't even been able to post it until now. I lost Astolf last week.
hit.gif
I saw blood on him after the last hawk attack where I lost my "chocolate" hen. I looked him over and didn't find anything. I thought it must have been from someone else, or just a nick somewhere, and he seemed to be fine as I watched him the next few days. I must have missed something. It must have festered and with the harsh weather we have been having, he passed away during one of the really cold nights last week. I am so hoping there is one in the incubator like him, although I know I will never be able to replace him. R.I.P. Astolf.
I'm so sorry for your loss - he was a beautiful bird. I hope you get some roos just like him.

Back
Top Bottom