Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Is this looking like a pullet to you guys? This is my first SFH, so I'm not familiar with how fast/slow they mature, and I only have brahmas to compare it to, which are very slow to mature. 7 weeks old, and first time outside since it was half warm out. Im pretty sure its a pullet but wanted to double check.

Is this looking like a pullet to you guys? This is my first SFH, so I'm not familiar with how fast/slow they mature, and I only have brahmas to compare it to, which are very slow to mature. 7 weeks old, and first time outside since it was half warm out. Im pretty sure its a pullet but wanted to double check.
pullet

So, I went back and read from page 250, so I'm sure the answer was in there somewhere but I can't remember...Do SFH need/want higher protein as adults, or is 16-18% ok? I ask because it took a while to learn that Cream Legbar hens need a huge boost of protein, or they won't lay even two eggs a week in the winter. I know the SFH will have a lot of needs met from foraging, we have a huge area for them, but I want to make sure I'm prepared with the correct feed.

So, I went back and read from page 250, so I'm sure the answer was in there somewhere but I can't remember...Do SFH need/want higher protein as adults, or is 16-18% ok? I ask because it took a while to learn that Cream Legbar hens need a huge boost of protein, or they won't lay even two eggs a week in the winter. I know the SFH will have a lot of needs met from foraging, we have a huge area for them, but I want to make sure I'm prepared with the correct feed.
I feed 20%protein plus I give then liver or "meat cakes" once a week. They lay much better on a higher protein feed. At least mine do and I've heard of several others here with the same experience.

Last edited:
I feed 20%protein plus I give then liver or "meat cakes" once a week. They lay much better on a higher protein feed. At least mine do and I've heard of several others here with the same experience.

Thank you. Usually when I want higher protein I switch the flock to Feather Fixer, but I can't ferment that stuff, it gets foul really quick. I like to ferment for the summer at least, because it insures they stay hydrated. I guess I'll stick with my normal feed, and supplement with Calf Manna and BOSS.

Last edited:
Thanks Minihorse927

When does the white front turn into spots? I really can't wait, he black feathers have some speckling of brown in them, so i can't wait to see the final coloring. Does the amount of white in the juvvie feathers relate to the amount of white afterwards?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom