Swedish Flower Hen Thread

This post is about Ragnar. He is about 1 year old and while he does not have the flowers of some roosters, he has other qualities that make him exceptional. Ragnar's flock has dwindled as I have moved and sold his hens. Currently he has 5 hens of his own. He is in charge of the brooders and grow-out pens though. He has about 60 chicks of various ages under his care. You hear about roosters that kill chicks...not Ragnar. Little bitties run under his legs, no problem! He makes rounds many times daily going from pen to pen, group to group to make sure everybody is ok. He makes sure everybody gets put up in the correct place at night too.
Ragnar is the best rooster I have ever known of.
He is the king!

This post is about Ragnar. He is about 1 year old and while he does not have the flowers of some roosters, he has other qualities that make him exceptional. Ragnar's flock has dwindled as I have moved and sold his hens. Currently he has 5 hens of his own. He is in charge of the brooders and grow-out pens though. He has about 60 chicks of various ages under his care. You hear about roosters that kill chicks...not Ragnar. Little bitties run under his legs, no problem! He makes rounds many times daily going from pen to pen, group to group to make sure everybody is ok. He makes sure everybody gets put up in the correct place at night too. Ragnar is the best rooster I have ever known of. He is the king!
I love to hear this! I'm hoping for a nice one.

This post is about Ragnar. He is about 1 year old and while he does not have the flowers of some roosters, he has other qualities that make him exceptional. Ragnar's flock has dwindled as I have moved and sold his hens. Currently he has 5 hens of his own. He is in charge of the brooders and grow-out pens though. He has about 60 chicks of various ages under his care. You hear about roosters that kill chicks...not Ragnar. Little bitties run under his legs, no problem! He makes rounds many times daily going from pen to pen, group to group to make sure everybody is ok. He makes sure everybody gets put up in the correct place at night too.
Ragnar is the best rooster I have ever known of.
He is the king!

He sounds like the perfect rooster! I'm hoping to grow one up (won't be SFH though) of my current chicks to replace our meanie rooster. There's hope!

This post is about Ragnar. He is about 1 year old and while he does not have the flowers of some roosters, he has other qualities that make him exceptional. Ragnar's flock has dwindled as I have moved and sold his hens. Currently he has 5 hens of his own. He is in charge of the brooders and grow-out pens though. He has about 60 chicks of various ages under his care. You hear about roosters that kill chicks...not Ragnar. Little bitties run under his legs, no problem! He makes rounds many times daily going from pen to pen, group to group to make sure everybody is ok. He makes sure everybody gets put up in the correct place at night too. Ragnar is the best rooster I have ever known of. He is the king!
Sounds like a great roo!!!! You can work on the coloring but a loving roo is truly a treasure.
1f60a.png

Hi!
I have received a Swedish Flower chick in my rare breed assortment from Meyer Hatchery. Sadly it was supposed to be a girl but they seem to have been mistaken! He is very pretty, friendly, and sporting a really cool hairdo!
I was posting to ask if the Swedish Flower Roos are pretty quiet. I would love to keep him but live in town and can't have Roos. If he is not too loud I don't think anyone would report me though. The neighbors like my yard with chicken TV. So if anyone can tell me what the Roos are like for this breed I'd appreciate it. Here are a couple of pics of him. He is 6 weeks old now.

about 5 days old

6 weeks old

Can I please get some opinions on these two boys from you more experienced Flower people. I ended up with 9 roos total from my order from GFF. Two were crested and have already gone to freezer camp. I now have to pick two keepers from the remaining 7. I chose 1 black based and 1 blue based. My hens are all black based with some crested and some not. They are 23 weeks old. Thanks.

Also, if anyone near southern Oregon wants any roosters before they meet their maker, let me know. Haha

Hi! I have received a Swedish Flower chick in my rare breed assortment from Meyer Hatchery. Sadly it was supposed to be a girl but they seem to have been mistaken! He is very pretty, friendly, and sporting a really cool hairdo! I was posting to ask if the Swedish Flower Roos are pretty quiet. I would love to keep him but live in town and can't have Roos. If he is not too loud I don't think anyone would report me though. The neighbors like my yard with chicken TV. So if anyone can tell me what the Roos are like for this breed I'd appreciate it. Here are a couple of pics of him. He is 6 weeks old now. about 5 days old 6 weeks old
I have two adults right now and they are pretty noisy....sorry! They are usually really gentle, even though I've heard a few stories to the contrary. They are absolutely stunning, though, as you've found out.

I have two adults right now and they are pretty noisy....sorry! They are usually really gentle, even though I've heard a few stories to the contrary. They are absolutely stunning, though, as you've found out.

I agree with Lisa the roosters are noisy. It would be difficult to hide if no roosters allowed. The good thing is most are very gentle. I have not had an aggressive too in the 3.5 years I have had the breed, but I know some owners have experienced some aggression.

Can I please get some opinions on these two boys from you more experienced Flower people. I ended up with 9 roos total from my order from GFF. Two were crested and have already gone to freezer camp. I now have to pick two keepers from the remaining 7. I chose 1 black based and 1 blue based. My hens are all black based with some crested and some not. They are 23 weeks old. Thanks. Also, if anyone near southern Oregon wants any roosters before they meet their maker, let me know. Haha
Both are gorgeous! Are they related? If not I would be tempted to keep both.

Back
Top Bottom