Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Beautiful, beautiful Boy! They should all be SFH's. :fl They were from 1 and 2. The Lemon Frisian gulls are next door to the SFH's and the eggs are nearly identical to SFH's. There was some confusion with my egg gatherer initially. We got it straightened out though. This is a Lemon Frisian Gull chick. (The yellow one with the black spots).
we should know in a few days :) They hatch the 18. Been trying to find him and a pullet a new home. No luck locally.

we should know in a few days
smile.png
They hatch the 18.

Been trying to find him and a pullet a new home. No luck locally.
He looks perfect! I am rooster saturated or I would take him!

He looks perfect! I am rooster saturated or I would take him! 
that is my issue, I don't need 2 snoleopard roosters. His brother I kept is a little bit bigger than he is. I will find him a home sometime. I found someone who did want him but they didn't want to give me more than $10 for him. They just thought it was pretty they didn't understand what he is.

Hi, Newbie here but Im going to pick up Swedish Flower tomorrow morning. I really want a hen because I cannot keep a rooster. Do you all have any tips to increase my odds of picking a hen? I think these chickens are gorgeous! Thanks
ya.gif

I have a hard time determining the sex of my SFH chicks until they're about 7 or 8 weeks old.

If you end up with a rooster it's good to have a plan in advance. Unfortunately, even with rare breed roosters like SFH it's sometimes difficult to give them away let alone sell them. However, most SFH roosters tend to be well-behaved around people, which should make it easier to re-home them if you end up with a rooster and that's what you decide to do.

BTW - Do not feed them medicated chick starter, as it can cause problems with vitamin uptake, leading to serious health issues. They, like most heritage breeds, do well on a higher protein feed not only as chicks but also as adults. A 20-22% protein all-flock feed would work well. I've opted for an 18% protein organic, non-GMO feed as that's what I can find locally, and I supplement with extra protein (e.g., scrambled eggs).

Last edited:
Hi. Got three Swedish Flower chicks at a local Poultry Show. There were hundreds to choose from, but of course, I picked three boys who all looked the same! Can anyone tell me if they are considered a certain color type?

Hi. Got three Swedish Flower chicks at a local Poultry Show. There were hundreds to choose from, but of course, I picked three boys who all looked the same! Can anyone tell me if they are considered a certain color type?

They are really pretty!! They look like the popular snoleopard color. You probably have to give it more time. How old are they? Sometimes it takes up to 6 weeks to tell sex for sure. I do see pink combs. All that white is a good thing. It means they will have awesome flowering!

Hi, Newbie here but Im going to pick up Swedish Flower tomorrow morning.  I really want a hen because I cannot keep a rooster.  Do you all have any tips to increase my odds of picking a hen?  I think these chickens are gorgeous!  Thanks:ya

Yes, they are hard to sex until later. Sometimes a boy will be a "stand out" roo and you can tell at 2 weeks approx. I'm not sure what age you're looking at, but they usually start getting their flowers (white mottling) at around 2 weeks old. The boys start first!!! So if you want a girl, don't go for lots of white on shoulders or mahogany on the wings. Look for the upright stance that sometimes gives the boys away. Good luck!!

Yes, they are hard to sex until later. Sometimes a boy will be a "stand out" roo and you can tell at 2 weeks approx. I'm not sure what age you're looking at, but they usually start getting their flowers (white mottling) at around 2 weeks old. The boys start first!!! So if you want a girl, don't go for lots of white on shoulders or mahogany on the wings. Look for the upright stance that sometimes gives the boys away. Good luck!!

This is the chick I picked. She only had 3 flowers and the other two were much lighter in color. Im going to just refer to her as a girl for now, the power of positive thinking and all that. I'll watch for early flowers in the next week or so. "She's" 3 days old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom