Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Heres the oldest one i got from you cree shes a decent broody pretty hateful too.
20170825_082741.jpg

Just hatched these SFH beauties! I have 1 black based, 2 chocolate based and the rest various "chipmunk" coloring. I am new to this breed so I don't know what to expect them to look like when full grown. I was hoping for a blue based but none in this hatch. Anyone know the genetics of getting blues or greys?
20170907_183243327_iOS.jpg
20170907_183246949_iOS.jpg
20170907_183249109_iOS.jpg

Yeah they are just some more than others i have a splash sfh that is my broody and the best momma.

The one pictured is an ok mother she absolutely attacked and killed her 4th chick.
But shes a first timmer i have since got rid of all but two sfh as i am focusing on my gamefowl but kept the splash shes raised two clutches this year and done a fantastic job also i kept the one pictured because the clutch she has are young still yet, but she wull be gifted to my mother inlaw to play with for her back yard flock next spring. All the rest are still in the family if i ever want to get them back.

Sfh is still my favorite "Layer" breed just moved forward and focusing on my games.
20170803_120426.jpg

Last edited:
Question on general Swede behavior....

Our Swedish Flowers are now nearly 5mo old. And I find them laying down a lot of the day. It seems they like to forage like mad, then take a sit for a bit (a 'fika' or coffeebreak in Swedish), then get up if something interests them and take a sit again...this goes on throughout the day. I see them resting more than I do scampering about.

Our Black Java's do not have this behavior. They are always on their feet and moving around - except perhaps for a mid-afternoon dust bath or sun-bathing session. We've had them for 8yrs now so I've seen all sorts of behaviors!

The Swedes I've yet to catch sun-bathing (they are all lighter colors) although I do see them dust bathing. The cockerels are the worst offenders. The pullets do not sit as often as the boys - 4 Swedish cockerels, 2 Swedish pullets; 20 Java hens, 3 Java pullets, 9 Java cockerels. (Yes, the Lord brings me boys - it's been a fight to get a flock of hens this large, as EVERY year, the boys outnumber the girls!)

Anyone else notice this about their Swedes?

Anyone have an idea of what crossing a RIR rooster with a SFH would result in as far as appearance goes? I know RIR genes are often dominant in some crosses. Would that be the case here?

Anyone have an idea of what crossing a RIR rooster with a SFH would result in as far as appearance goes? I know RIR genes are often dominant in some crosses. Would that be the case here?

I am new to this breed, but have done EE crosses with different genetics. My base discover is that when you breed dominant red or black over pattern birds (like flower hens) you get throw backs to base colors and loss the patterns as most breeds the patterns are recessive genes that we have breed to show.

My current babies have three lavenders and three solid blacks that are Olive Layers. Three are second generation and will produce assorted colored eggs. The mother of three of them is a welsummer/EE Lavender and she is black, but carries the lavender gene. I get 50% lavender and 50% black.

Back
Top Bottom