Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
I kind of thought the comb looked pretty big, too. I haven't seen an almost white roo. He'd be really beautiful probably with dark hackle and saddle feathers as well as in his tail.

That might be nice.

I really would love to have one of the Red roos with White mottling, I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about...

ETA: One like this guy!
http://greenfirefarms.com/wp-content/gallery/swedish-flower-hens/dsc_0326.jpg

My Astolf, the all yellow chick that is now 11 weeks old, looks like he will grow up to be just like that!
cool.png

I love the looks of these birds. Those of you far enough along to have them laying well, I'd like to know about their performance-- how well they lay, egg size, disposition, and meat qualities of extra roos. How well do they integrate with other breeds/chickens? Can any one give some insight here? Thanks.

Quote:
I can only speak to egg size. I've got 36 eggs in my incubator from 3 people. There are some different sizes prob due to different ages but most are as big to slightly bigger then a large egg from the store- just based in eyeballing the two. I didn't weigh them.

Quote:
They lay great i get one a day from each of my girls, their eggs are jumbo size, cream light brown color, Disposition is curious they will come up and see what you are doing not run and hide. My male right now is testing his dominants like all my roos do so hopefully after a few training sessions he will quiet. When they were in my juvenile coop that got along fine with all my other juveniles

I've got 4 babies in the brooder now.

3 blonde chicks with varying amounts of gray/black on their heads and back and 1 gingery red chick!
smile.png

There are still 5 eggs in the bator, 2 have pips. 1 pipped yesterday morning and hasn't done anything since then...
sad.png
The other pip seems to be slowly getting bigger, the other eggs have done nothing.

Today is the end of day 21. Historically this year I've had a few late hatches so I'll probably leave the eggs in the bator for a few more days.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom