Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Let me check my bunch tomorrow, I will see what I have as far as pullets... I have a few darker ones. I am trying to go for all non crested... I am in Knoxville

It might work out then... this red and white pullet is non-crested. YAY! I'll get some pics of her tommorrow in the daylight for you.

I wasn't aware there was another source other than GF for Swedes.... didn't they all get imported originally from them to the US?

*edit to fix my horrible spelling

He said he heard someone else had another line. I wasn't aware of it and haven't found any information about it. Just hearsay for now. I've checked online and haven't seen any, but it would be great if there were.

He said he heard someone else had another line. I wasn't aware of it and haven't found any information about it. Just hearsay for now. I've checked online and haven't seen any, but it would be great if there were.

Yeah it would be good. I don't know about it being true. I have seen people confused about "Bradshaw" and "Greenfire" being the same.

It's really great to see everyone's enthusiasm for Swedish flower hens and how much you have done to help this breed.

Greenfire Farms imported a total of 19 Swedish flower hens in 2010. One group of 15 arrived in June of that year, and the next group of four arrived in the fall. The four were crested birds. These birds were from several Swedish flocks. We imported far more Swedish flower hens than we have of any other chicken breed, and I'm confident that enough birds were imported to maintain the genetic diversity of this breed for a very long time. Nevertheless, we are importing a few additional unrelated Swedish flower hens this summer.

I think the story of the Swedish flower hens shows what American breeders can do to help save a vanishing chicken breed. We now probably more Swedish flower hens in the US as there are in Sweden, and Americans were quick to recognize the hardiness, beauty, and productivity of this breed. This is truly a breed worth saving, and you helped save it.

It's really great to see everyone's enthusiasm for Swedish flower hens and how much you have done to help this breed. 

Greenfire Farms imported a total of 19 Swedish flower hens in 2010.  One group of 15 arrived in June of that year, and the next group of four arrived in the fall.  The four were crested birds.  These birds were from several Swedish flocks.  We imported far more Swedish flower hens than we have of any other chicken breed, and I'm confident that enough birds were imported to maintain the genetic diversity of this breed for a very long time.  Nevertheless, we are importing a few additional unrelated Swedish flower hens this summer.

I think the story of the Swedish flower hens shows what American breeders can do to help save a vanishing chicken breed.  We now probably more Swedish flower hens in the US as there are in Sweden, and Americans were quick to recognize the hardiness, beauty, and productivity of this breed.  This is truly a breed worth saving, and you helped save it.
Thank you for the information and update. I'm looking forward to adding more birds to my flock from the new import.

I have a couple of questions regarding the crested birds. It seems that there are a lot of them so it must be dominant. Have you noticed any genetic weakness associated with breeding the crested ones?
Secondly, I had two out of 4 crested cockerels with side sprigs. Have you noted that in your crested birds and if so is it a concern at all? I am not bothered by it but I do want to breed responsibly. I plan on having a flock of at least 30 eventually.

Thank you for importing these birds! I applaud your efforts to help save not only this breed but many others!!

Anyone in East TN or N GA wanna trade pullets? I have a red and white one growing out that I would love to trade for one with more black in it. Crested or not... I'm only trying to get away from the red and white. I don't want my whole flock to be the same color combo

THANKS!
I might later after I figure out what I have. I finally got the chicks I ordered about 6 months ago. Of the 5 survivors it looks like just one is red and white. They were shipped several weeks old for some reason.
Don't have time to go back through the thread- but was there ever a conclusion to the crooked toe issue? I'm not planning to breed or sell these or anything- just for yard candy, but I don't want to make a bunch of poor quality chicks if I do chose to hatch something down the road.
Thanks!

p.s. I have a little chocolate-looking roo. Anybody know what these feather in like? I didn't get to see them as babies, so its even more confusing.

Last edited:
I might later after I figure out what I have. I finally got the chicks I ordered about 6 months ago. Of the 5 survivors it looks like just one is red and white. They were shipped several weeks old for some reason.
Don't have time to go back through the thread- but was there ever a conclusion to the crooked toe issue? I'm not planning to breed or sell these or anything- just for yard candy, but I don't want to make a bunch of poor quality chicks if I do chose to hatch something down the road.
Thanks!

p.s. I have a little chocolate-looking roo. Anybody know what these feather in like? I didn't get to see them as babies, so its even more confusing.
Yeah! You finally got them! My chocolate-looking chick turned into millefleur coloring. I think that there was no conclusion to the crooked toe issue, other than not breeding them. Does yours have crooked toes? I just set 12 more eggs today, so let me know if you want more chicks! I think Swedish Flower Hen folks are the best! Welcome to the group.

Thanks! I just have one with crooked toes. After sifting throgh the pics on this thread a bit, I definately need to get more. Soooo pretty! I love polka dots. Really want one of those blue-ish ones.

Back
Top Bottom