Swedish Flower Hen Thread

my hen has green legs. she is about the size of a leghorn, very different than my basque girls which made me post this in the first place. i am on the basque thread and pic after pic, no one had a hen that looked like mine. i always thought she looked different from the rest and even at about 6 weeks commented that i thought i had a SFH in there, but just blew it off because a few others said there was a mille fleur pattern in the basque. but the other day, i saw a pic of a SFH and i saw my bird! the rest of my hens look very typical of the basque, she sticks out like a sore thumb. the lady did have the SFHs legbanded, but perhaps one fell off. i got them around 3 weeks old. they all looked the same. what color egg will she lay? and no, i won't breed her to the basque roos.
i'm sorry, i meant to say she does not have green legs, but yellow with a brown stripe down the front of them, kind of like a RIR. i just went out and looked at her closely. what to do, what to do. here is a earlier pic of them .

Hi! Any way the breeder will trade you a Basque pullet for this Swede? Otherwise if you don't want to keep her I'm sure she'll sell fairly easily.
My SFH's lay a medium very light brown egg. What color do the Basques lay? They're very pretty birds. I'm glad you came on this thread.
I've learned about a breed I hadn't heard of before :)

I've got one chick out and 4 pipped from Genelda's eggs!
wee.gif
I can't wait to see what kind of colors we get.

I have some ebay eggs in there too, but no action on them yet. I was so worried because of this heat wave. I actually had to take the tops off the bators because it was 100 in my house.

I've got one chick out and 4 pipped from Genelda's eggs! :weee I can't wait to see what kind of colors we get. 

I have some ebay eggs in there too, but no action on them yet. I was so worried because of this heat wave. I actually had to take the tops off the bators because it was 100 in my house. 

Yippy! Sounds like it is going to be a good hatch.

4 out and 4 more pipped! Only 1 of the pipped eggs are from the Florida ones. Its will officially be day 20 this afternoon, so looking good!!!!!

All 4 are different colors, I think, too!

Hi! Any way the breeder will trade you a Basque pullet for this Swede? Otherwise if you don't want to keep her I'm sure she'll sell fairly easily.
My SFH's lay a medium very light brown egg. What color do the Basques lay? They're very pretty birds. I'm glad you came on this thread.
I've learned about a breed I hadn't heard of before
smile.png
no, i bought all the basque she had. she is just the middleman. i had 11 and sold a few to help offset the insane cost of them. oops! i may keep her, i still have 4 more basque hens and 2 roos to use for breeding. only problem, they lay a light brown egg as well.
hmm.png
but she's sooooo pretty. i'll need to put up a better pic of her. pop on in to the basque thread, they are neat birds.

I've hatched out 7 of my own chicks now and just realized what was different about them-the toes aren't the same as the Swedish chicks I hatched a few months ago (from a couple different breeders). They are normal length rather then long. Do you think I just had my humidity set too high before? I only add water once a week now rather then every 3 or 4 days like I used to.

Two of my chicks are black and white with a dark red blotch on the back of their head. I had one chick in my original batch like that and he turned out like this:

It will be interesting to see if these turn out this same dark color. He almost looks mahoghany compared to my other red roos (who started out red)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom