Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I have used the shipping foam it worked pretty well. Usually I wrap each egg in bubble wrap then put it in a small priority box filled with sheaves paper lines with bubble wrap. Then I place that box inside a large priority box with more paper and bubble wrap.
That is a wonderful way to ship. I received eggs from the west coast to east coast that way and none were broken or cracked even the air cells were intact. Imagine that far and 4 days in transit. gloria Jean

Hi Gabrielle1976 and KYTinpusher! I wanted to show you photos of my cool white and red rooster- he's a keeper, I think. I have a total of 11 roos, 5 hens from the last batch I got in April- got a lot of re-homing to do now! DH is a bit put-out by the cacophony in the a.m.
tongue.png

I am trying to decide whether to keep one of the other roos, too. Here are some options:

I really like the look of the black and red guy above left.

But I like the above red guy, too, although maybe comb is too big.

This one's kind of nice. Might be good to breed for mille fleur coloring.

Here he is again.

And above is my one rooster from the original batch of Swedes- Danilo. He has somewhat of a floppy comb but otherwise I like the look.

Here is Voli with Danilo's baby.

The other Voli x Danilo babies. Voli was adamant about setting and I didn't have the heart to move her. I plan on putting Danilo in a pen with the hens from the recent batch because I know for sure they are from different lines- Greenfire has three. I believe Danilo and Voli are from different lines but cannot be 100% sure.

Icatty, my vote is for Danilo. The floppy comb isn't a big deal to me. If he's got a sweet personality then I wouldn't hesitate to keep him. To me that's a huge factor. I let one of my roos go but before he went I made sure that I had some of his offspring so that I could mix my pen up a bit. He was blue based so it's pretty easy to tell which babies are his and which belong to the permanent resident.

Hi I have a question I have two SFH roosters, they will be 5 months old on Saturday at what age are they mature enough to fertilize eggs? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but the only roosters I have experience with are Silkies and they are very slow to mature.

Hi I have a question I have two SFH roosters, they will be 5 months old on Saturday at what age are they mature enough to fertilize eggs? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but the only roosters I have experience with are Silkies and they are very slow to mature.
mine are fertilizing at 5 months

Icatty - Very pretty birds! I wish you lived closer, I would love to take one of those black roos off your hands - not that I need another roo, but I would love to get more black and gray in my flock. Of course DH would kill me if I get any more chickens right now, but,,,
lau.gif

Icatty, my vote is for Danilo. The floppy comb isn't a big deal to me. If he's got a sweet personality then I wouldn't hesitate to keep him. To me that's a huge factor. I let one of my roos go but before he went I made sure that I had some of his offspring so that I could mix my pen up a bit. He was blue based so it's pretty easy to tell which babies are his and which belong to the permanent resident.
Oh yes I am not letting go of my Danilo. I think he's handsome, plus he's got the perfect rooster attitude. He's basically a sweetheart, except when he thinks his girls are being threatened. He did kick Silas, my oldest, once (not hard, barely left a mark) but Silas was chasing the hens after being told not to so it was like Si just got a little spanking.
wink.png
Whenever I throw lettuce or other leafy greens on the ground, he calls his girls, picks up the food in his beak and puts it down in front of a hen.

And I'm definitely keeping the young white and red fellow. These boys are so pretty I really wanted one more. I'm hoping three roos won't be too many. What the heck, I have three pens, you know?
hide.gif
(that would be me hiding from DH).

Icatty - Very pretty birds! I wish you lived closer, I would love to take one of those black roos off your hands - not that I need another roo, but I would love to get more black and gray in my flock. Of course DH would kill me if I get any more chickens right now, but,,,
lau.gif
Well, you know I don't see why I couldn't overnight a black/red guy to you (there are two of them), once the weather is cooler- like late September. I'd even help with the shipping because I know he'd have a good home.

Think about it and pm me if you are interested.
big_smile.png

lcatty, your roos are gorgeous!

My husband is going out to White Sands in September and I wonder if he would object to bringing one back, lol.

But really, if you have eggs to spare by Labor day, I might want some. He could carry them back. Think he is traveling day after and back that Friday? I have to check. He might not want to...he is bringing his parents back with him.

We are both NMSU grads, he from math and physics, me from animal science, but 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom