Swedish isbars

cedwalkdun

Hatching
Mar 7, 2015
Swedish isbar-I was wondering what people with this breed thought about them I just ordered a dozen eggs with two extra so fourteen eggs and put them in the incubator on the 6th when should I Be able to candle them just every thing about hem in general
1f423.png

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have never kept this breed either. Definitely stop by the thread that Michael has left for you.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Swedish isbar-I was wondering what people with this breed thought about them I just ordered a dozen eggs with two extra so fourteen eggs and put them in the incubator on the 6th when should I Be able to candle them just every thing about hem in general
1f423.png
Hi and welcome to the BYC forum.

I love my Isbars -- tremendously. They are beautiful chickens IMO. I have 3 hens right now that I got from someone who got theirs from Greenfire Farms first Isbars. The first Isbars have eyes that are very prominent - very shiny and they look black, very very pretty IMO.

Seems like last year people who had the breed were having some real trouble with successful hatches, or even if they did have hatches, the chicks did not live long. In someways I attribute part of this to the degree of inbreeding that must have been occurring. With so few Isbars and most people probably getting brothers and sisters -- it seemed to me like the gene pool must be very small for the breed. I made a conscious effort to source Isbars from different locations. In July I got 7 from Omega Hills Farms - of the seven I have kept two blues. I now have the blue rooster with my original hens. Tomorrow I will be sending out some of their eggs.

These birds are highly productive -- the three original hens I have are continuing to lay even though they are going through a molt. I don't know how they do it. They are excellent layers, excellent foragers. The rooster besides being very beautiful is very nice to humans.

I think that most of the Isbars I see now, including the Greenfire Farms lack the dark eyes that the originals had. My preference is for Isbars with red earlobes and dark or slate legs. I have a splash hen that has almost silver legs and an ivory beak. They are beautiful chickens - very productive, gorgeous green eggs and lots of them. My newer pullet is laying a more oilve colored egg -- I wonder if some people have out crossed the breed

Photo of one of the first type of Isbars.

Here's hoping that you will have a very successful hatch!!!!

Back
Top Bottom