Sweet Bertha has Bumblefoot

Artistaduck

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2022
My very favorite girl has Bumblefoot. She had a niacin deficiency that she recovered from decently. Her limp mostly went away after treatment (which was late) but the Bumblefoot developed in her leg that has some lasting deformity.
This is my first time dealing with this issue and I have an injured hand so this is difficult with one hand.
Tonight I did an epsom salt soak.
I have read that I need to get the vetericyn and possibly wrap her foot?
Is she still allowed to swim? I’ve got her and her best friend separated to the pen With a separate pool because all she wants is to be in super clean the water (No their pond)
How advanced is this infection already? Do I need to take her to the vet? I’m not comfortable squeezing on it or removing the “bumble” like I’ve read about.
Does it ever improve on its own?
Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• BE81BA72-2DEA-455F-BAD6-1B9D59C0DE7E.jpeg
    BE81BA72-2DEA-455F-BAD6-1B9D59C0DE7E.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 33
The way that is looking I don't think spraying with Veterycin is going to take care of it. If you can take her to a vet that knows how to take care of bumble that would be the way to go. When they get where Sweet Berthas is it needs to be soaked long enough to get the scab softened so it can be removed and then the bumble removed.

The way that is looking I don't think spraying with Veterycin is going to take care of it. If you can take her to a vet that knows how to take care of bumble that would be the way to go. When they get where Sweet Berthas is it needs to be soaked long enough to get the scab softened so it can be removed and then the bumble removed.
Thank you! Here is a photo of it after soaking.
I’m wondering if anyone has any idea of vet costs for this sort of thing?
My own medical expenses from my injury are already a burden 😵‍💫
But I found an avian vet near by I’ll call tomorrow.

Attachments

• FD187D2C-1488-4949-9233-6EC0C4A8EDA7.jpeg
    FD187D2C-1488-4949-9233-6EC0C4A8EDA7.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 16
The bacteria is encapsulated underneath the tissue. Applying any topical ointment or spray will prove ineffective as none have the penetration needed to totally kill all the bacteria. Additionally, there is necrotic tissue present which will need to be removed to allow the skin cells to migrate over the wound.

The cost of surgery is going to vary with each veterinarian clinic, and how severe they deem the bumblefoot to be. Best bet is just to call and see what the general price range would be.
Best of luck

The bacteria is encapsulated underneath the tissue. Applying any topical ointment or spray will prove ineffective as none have the penetration needed to totally kill all the bacteria. Additionally, there is necrotic tissue present which will need to be removed to allow the skin cells to migrate over the wound.

The cost of surgery is going to vary with each veterinarian clinic, and how severe they deem the bumblefoot to be. Best bet is just to call and see what the general price range would be.
Best of luck
Thanks for your response. I’m calling first thing tomorrow.
When I look at it it, it seems like an ulcer.
I’ve read people do the epsom salt to draw the infection to the surface…will that not work for this case in your opinion? I’m scared to open it up and make things worse.

Back
Top Bottom