Sweet but rough rooster

lindz071619

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2020
I ended up with two lavender orpington roosters I got them at a couple days old they are handsome and sweet the problem is the dominant one is a bit rough with my white leghorn hen. He has beat her up pretty good and is causing her quite a bit of stress. A friend suggested he might be so rough because there's two of them so when one goes after her so does the other. None of my other hens have any injuries but they have bigger bodies than she does. He has injured her comb and pulled out some of her tail feathers. I'm wondering if rehoming the larger more dominant rooster would be the best option I don't have another pen I can put him in unfortunately. Having happy hens is the most important thing the roosters are just pretty to look at and the crowing relaxes me 😌 The last three pictures are of my big guy.

Attachments

• 20201117_160923.jpg
    20201117_160923.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201105_151237.jpg
    20201105_151237.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201025_135955.jpg
    20201025_135955.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201025_135829.jpg
    20201025_135829.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 7
A beautiful bird! Sorry he is rough.. how many hens to roosters? Yes, you may have to rehome him if there isnt enough hens to go around.
I have 7 hens in that coop right now i have three more I will be adding from my other coop that I keep my younger birds in. I also wonder if they fixate on her because she is the only white one. My others are two blue sapphires, two golden sex links and two EE. I had two leghorn but sadly one died early on so she's the only one.

I have a cockerel that was overmating one particular pullet so I had to separate him with other pullets (that he didn't overmate) but if you don't have that option I would suggest to rehome him. You don't want your hen getting hurt :(
I put him in a large wire dog kennel inside the run for now with his own food and water but that's not a quality of life I want for him.

I have 7 hens in that coop right now i have three more I will be adding from my other coop that I keep my younger birds in. I also wonder if they fixate on her because she is the only white one. My others are two blue sapphires, two golden sex links and two EE. I had two leghorn but sadly one died early on so she's the only one.
Got me thinking maybe that's why my cockerel was fixated on my 1 black pullet, rest of pullets/hen are white. Maybe they are attracted to the different colour? My rooster doesn't overmate one more then the other though.
.. 10 girls probably not enough to keep the 2 boys together. It works for some but depends on the boys temperament. You could try though and see if things settle otherwise you'll have to work something else out.

I ended up with two lavender orpington roosters I got them at a couple days old they are handsome and sweet the problem is the dominant one is a bit rough with my white leghorn hen. He has beat her up pretty good and is causing her quite a bit of stress. A friend suggested he might be so rough because there's two of them so when one goes after her so does the other. None of my other hens have any injuries but they have bigger bodies than she does. He has injured her comb and pulled out some of her tail feathers. I'm wondering if rehoming the larger more dominant rooster would be the best option I don't have another pen I can put him in unfortunately. Having happy hens is the most important thing the roosters are just pretty to look at and the crowing relaxes me 😌 The last three pictures are of my big guy.
how old is he?

if he’s 12-16 weeks old...better chicken than you might buy at the store to eat and you know where it came from...assuming you feed him decent food...
This could be an option if you are comfortable eating your roosters, then you know they won't get used for cock fighting, or eaten anyways, and had a good life. Personally this is not an option for me because I get too attached, and based on the way you described them and are asking whether or not you need to rehome them instead of just going for it, it seems like you wouldn't be comfortable with it either. However if you ARE comfortable and I am very wrong, then you would know they had an amazing life and were killed humanely.

Back
Top Bottom