1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet Chicken gone bad PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Disco Hen, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    I have a black cochin bantam named Misty that WAS super super sweet. She let you pick her up whenever you wanted. But now when ever i get near her she attacks me and draws blood! Please help me I don't know what to do to make her sweet again

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Is it possible she is going into a late molt?? Or maybe getting ready to go broody? My girls got mean just befor they began to lay. I would say just sit down with her and bribe her with her favorite treat, hopefully she'll warm back up to you! Good Luck

3. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    She hasn't molted yet so it might be the start of her first one. Also she just started laying eggs so it might be that.

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I have a flock of 9 bantam cochins, 8 monts old. They all have sweet names that fit them but my only black cochin hen's name is Godzilla if that's any indication. She also draws blood. All my other cochins including my rooster do not do this. Good luck

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a rooster? A lot of times a hen will start behaving like a rooster and become aggressive if no other rooster is around in there flock.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    well we just got a rooster but this started before we got one and she is even mean to the rooster they have to be in different coops(at least until they get used to each other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by