Sweet PDZ Questions - Please Chime In!

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
The 6 girls are happily in the coop now. I am using sand for the coop floor and we have construction (heavier) sand in the run. When it gets wet is kinda gets hard. I dont have a solid roof on my run. My questions are:

1 - How much PDZ should I put in the coop and how often?

2 - Do I need to add more PDZ in everytime I sift out poo?

3 - How much PDZ should I put in the run and how often?

4. I also have a 10 LB box of DE, should I use them both or pick one?

I plan to tarp at least half of my run to keep some of it kinda dry but rain will blow in from the sides also.

I have been going out daily with my sifter and sifting out the poo but I will most likely not do it every day for long.

Thanks for any advice!

I use PDZ under shavings, so I'm afraid I can't help much, but I've heard that those that use sand just stir everything together rather than pick out the poo. If I were using sand, I'd cover it in a layer of the PDZ, since you are having a problem with it hardening. I would save the DE for inside the coop, I don't think there's any reason to use it outside. Then, as the sand becomes soiled, just stir it a bit, trying to keep the PDZ at the top. I wouldn't add any more unless it was becoming notable dirty. Keeping the sand dry will probably help a lot.
For the coop, I use a layer of PDZ under shavings mixed with a little DE. I found this has eliminated odors, stays very clean, and it is MUCH easier to do a complete bedding change with shavings than sand. When ever it gets really dirty, I scoop all the shavings out, leaving the PDZ, and put new ones down.

I use DE in the outside sand run to help with mites and flies and to dry up the poop. But it isn't effective if it gets wet -it works well for me because my run is covered.

I don't have experience using sweet PDZ outside.

I spread either PDZ or DE inside my coop every two days or so (my coop floor is wood only). It doesn't take much and you sure don't want to breathe it in, so wear a mask.

The wetness is what you are treating with the PDZ. If you are seeing the poo dry out nicely then you are doing it right. Also odor gone.

One thing to watch is flies. When the poo is wet, even though you had everything coated in PDZ, the flies come. So it takes some stirring to get the poo dried out.

Some folks hang those vanilla air fresheners to keep flies away.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=382037&p=1

I want to try this.

So, I would experiment with what keeps the odor level down for you.
On the website they have poultry recommendations.
1-2 lbs, visible covering it says

Back
Top Bottom