Sweet Tasting Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sweetpea325, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Sweetpea325

Sweetpea325 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    I'd like to find out if anyone else has "sweet tasting" eggs? I let my hens free range (as much as I can during the winter) and give them lettuce during the winter when everything is dead. I also give them layer pellets and some mealworm treats. And I do not have a roo.

Does the sweet taste mean I'm not giving them something they need or I'm giving them too much of something??

2. Nuggett

Nuggett New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Sweetpea,

I was actually looking for the answer to that myself. Last week our Rhode Island Red started laying eggs. She laid 5 in 7 days. We were so excited to see her first one! Well this weekend, we figured we better start eating them. I cooked egg one and two and gave it back to her. She loved it. I cooked egg 3, 4 and 5 and my husband and I ate them. The yolk was darker in color and sweet tasting. We didn't care much for the sweet in our eggs. Having said that, we cook and feed our 3 chickens sweet corn as a treat along with their chicken feed. I'm thinking that is my answer. Any expert chicken owners out there that can confirm?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by