Sweeter Heater vs Plate Style (EcoGlow/Premier1) Outside Brooding

ColoradoPip

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2015
Denver, CO
Hello everyone, I've done a lot of research but cannot find anyone that responded with their comparisons between these styles of heaters when used in outbuildings/sheds/outdoor brooders. Now that they have been out for many years, it seems the BYC crowd has surely done some scientific (or not-so-scientific) comparisons! Let's here it!! Pros, cons, and any comments or thoughts!!

It appears to me, the primary differences putting aside energy consumption, sizes, and just looking at the basic information:

Sweeter Heater:
  • Emits heat and the chicks should not be touching it
  • Max temp is ~180 degrees
Plate Style
  • Chick must touch the plate to receive warmth
  • Max temp ~130 degrees.
Any other differences that I'm missing?

Please note: I have read about the heating pad methods and am not interested in those (there's another excellent thread on that). Thank you to anyone who can provide input!

Last edited:
I prefer the heat plate unless you have a tremendous number to brood.
While a sweeter heater is more economical than heat lamps, a premier 1 uses even less electricity because it has to be closer to the chicks.
They both need to be raised periodically as the chicks grow.

I've only used a heat plate for my outdoor brooder. Did early spring and late summer chicks here in NY and both batches did really well. April we don't quite have warm weather yet so I was worried but they did great and are now great layers in my flock! I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't like it so I got the k&h brand for $50 and was very pleased with it. I'm sure better models will be satisfactory as well!

I started a thread about my Premier heat plate, which was too warm/ hot to the touch, and needed the temperature regulator that they also sell to be safe for the chicks. I do like it rather than the heat lamp, especially in warm weather.
Mary

No experience with the Sweeter Heater, but I've raised chicks a few times with my Premier 1 plate. Very happy with it. Didn't buy the regulator.

Some of these brooder plates are fine, and some are too hot. Mine was at 120F, too hot to touch for more than a few seconds, and too hot to be used as directed for the chicks. Do check a new one before assuming it's at a comfortable temperature!
Mary

Thank you all for the responses. It seems that a sweeter heater will work, and can be used to heat the coop later, but for brooding specifically, the heating plates are preferred.

Back
Top Bottom