'Sweetest' / most human friendly chicken breeds

Pics
We will be moving soon and the space I will have at the new house is limited, so I think I'm looking at bantam breeds (or under 3lb) for now. Within the next 5 years I should be able to purchase my own house with land for a big chicken coop/run and can get larger breeds then. I love bantam cochins like Namentuppen. Love silkies but it's too hot over here for them. Does anyone have experience with these breeds? (Pictures would be great!):

Cochin Bantam (love, especially the Barred, Mottled, and Laced color varieties).

Bantam Ameraucana

Belgian Bearded D'Uccle (seems they are not good in the heat?)

Quail Antwerp Belgian Bearded D'anvers

Japanese Bantams

Old English Games

Sebright Bantams

White Crested Black Polish Bantam

Rhode Island Red Bantam

Partridge Rock Bantam

I won't have a ton so price up to $20/chick isn't an issue if anyone has other suggestions for smaller breeds. I'm liking the Egyptian Fayoumis as well but those hens are a bit larger.
I have a few of those. They are great! ( I have Sebrights, Old English Games, Bantam Ameraucana (Which is actually a mix), white crested black polish.)

Have to agree with others about Cochins. My little bantam is very friendly.
My leghorn cross is very friendly and will peck me quite hard on the legs until I pick her up. I have many silkies and they are sweet, but honestly not the friendliest.The Marans are the least friendly in my flock.
Agree the amount of time you spend with them is the most important factor, but very much an individual thing as well.😊

Have to agree with others about Cochins. My little bantam is very friendly.
My leghorn cross is very friendly and will peck me quite hard on the legs until I pick her up. I have many silkies and they are sweet, but honestly not the friendliest.The Marans are the least friendly in my flock.
Agree the amount of time you spend with them is the most important factor, but very much an individual thing as well.😊
I had BCMs earlier this year and they were soooo sweet, but I have cuckoos now and they are super skittish. Really does depend on breed, but like @LadiesAndJane said, it’s an individual thing as well.

It will be a while before I get more chickens, but when I do, what breeds have you guys found to be the most human friendly? By that I mean anything ranging from:

Doesn't run from people
to
Likes to follow people around
to
Likes or tolerates human handling

Or is that more of an individual chicken thing versus a breed thing?
I only have fifteen, four of two breeds, two of another, three of another, four of another, couple individuals, but, I have to say they are all different within the breed groups. The Whiting True blues are a bit more well, independent, but still friendly, my Speckled Sussex both lap friendly, Bielefelders too, Black Australorp the first in my lap, even the Cuckoo Marans jump on my shoulders and get in my lap. I think it all depends on handling and interacting with them at the day old stage onwards. I had their brooder in my living room and really spent time with my girls. Feeding treats, making Swiss chard and strawberry kabobs for them. Any chick can be trained to be affectionate, but, their individual personalities determine just how friendly they are as adults..you have to keep at it, be consistent, treats are your friend. I think it’s all in how much time you put in with them..

I think it’s all in how you spend time with them as babies, and continue to do so as they get older. I really love my girls, I’m disabled so I could spend a lot of time with them. All 15 of mine eat from my hand, pick seeds from my shoes, and have an endless obsession with the folds of my clothes. They jump on my shoulders, or my arms, whatever as the mood strikes them. My Black Australorp loves to jump in my lap, snuggle her head under my arm, or lay her head on my arm, stretch her neck out for a nice face rub. Speckled Sussexes also are lap girls, Bielefelders too, my Whiting True Blues are a bit more independent. They pretend to not want to be touched, but calm down in the lap and accept a head scratch. Cuckoo Marans also will jump on my shoulders like I’m a pirate, or snuggle in my lap. I think they’re only as affectionate to you as you are to them, unless the individual personality is just completely standoffish..and treats are a major ally in gaining trust.

Indy my Sapphire Gem is utterly the friendliest bird I have ever seen. She is super brave, independent, loving and curious(hence her name Indian (jones)). I have Brahms and silkies both breeds known for their love of attention and affection and they don't even compare. I can make loud noises drop stuff literally anything and she doesn't react. Best girl ever!!

It will be a while before I get more chickens, but when I do, what breeds have you guys found to be the most human friendly? By that I mean anything ranging from:

Doesn't run from people
to
Likes to follow people around
to
Likes or tolerates human handling

Or is that more of an individual chicken thing versus a breed thing?
SILKIES!!! If you only have hens. Or have them from chicks

Back
Top Bottom