'Sweetest' / most human friendly chicken breeds

I have 3 Rhode Island x Australorp who really hate being touched. Also a beautiful Hamburg who is so timid I can't even breathe around and she runs a mile!
I love the look of the Barred Rock but have been told that they were often clucky which has put me off. Have any of you found this? I don't have a rooster.
If I do get some should I get chicks so they get used to me from the beginning?

I have 3 Rhode Island x Australorp who really hate being touched. Also a beautiful Hamburg who is so timid I can't even breathe around and she runs a mile!
I love the look of the Barred Rock but have been told that they were often clucky which has put me off. Have any of you found this? I don't have a rooster.
If I do get some should I get chicks so they get used to me from the beginning?
Certainly get the chicks. If you don’t want to end up with a bunch of roosters buy sexed ones.

It will be a while before I get more chickens, but when I do, what breeds have you guys found to be the most human friendly? By that I mean anything ranging from:

Doesn't run from people
to
Likes to follow people around
to
Likes or tolerates human handling

Or is that more of an individual chicken thing versus a breed thing?
I have had many breeds of chickens (plus Emu) over the years but came across the Mille Fleur D'Uccle, these are the most docile and likable chickens and the writeups support this. Even the chicks from day one will jump on my hand when putting the feed/water into their small dishes. The write ups say these are ideal as pets. Good luck.

It will be a while before I get more chickens, but when I do, what breeds have you guys found to be the most human friendly? By that I mean anything ranging from:

Doesn't run from people
to
to

LOVE Orpingtons for this. The hens are the sweetest I’ve had. Roosters too, as long as I’ve been super consistent about picking them up. Bonus: Lavender Orpingtons are also the most stunning chickens I’ve ever seen.

There is a wonderful British website from Fiona (and her husband, lets not forget him :)) who live on a small holding with Buff Orpingtons. There you can see them and get an idea what they are all about. You find it on YouTube "English country life"

Chicken Keeping for Beginners, Part 1: Space and Housing​

Doesn't run from people
to
to

One more thing in addition to my other reply..don’t expect chickens to be affectionate until they’re done with “chicken business.” Right when they exit the coop in the morning, they’re very busy drinking, eating, doling out some pecking order pecks, grubbing about, etc. Check in with them when they’re relaxing after that. Not in really hot weather in the afternoon either..they go to get cool, let them stay cool. After their morning breakfast is a good time..

LOVE Orpingtons for this. The hens are the sweetest I’ve had. Roosters too, as long as I’ve been super consistent about picking them up. Bonus: Lavender Orpingtons are also the most stunning chickens I’ve ever seen.
Australorp too..my Black is the friendliest, most lap cuddly of my 15.

There is a wonderful British website from Fiona (and her husband, lets not forget him :)) who live on a small holding with Buff Orpingtons. There you can see them and get an idea what they are all about. You find it on YouTube "English country life"

Chicken Keeping for Beginners, Part 1: Space and Housing​

Those are also the absolute hugest buff Orpingtons I’ve ever seen! I don’t think ours (USA) are as big, unless there’s a breeder out there with them..

Back
Top Bottom