'Sweetest' / most human friendly chicken breeds

My EEs are unfriendly and skittish. My New Hampshire Reds, OTOH, are total cuddlebugs who will literally get under my feet until I pick them up and carry them like footballs. Ranking below them are my Marans (Cuckoo and BC), Delawares, Dominiques, Plymouth Rocks, miscellaneous White Leghorn x whatever mixes, the aforementioned EEs and, finally, the sketchiest of all my birds, the White Leghorn. I only have one now. The rest were taken by hawks during the day or owls at dusk. I guess she has reason to be a bit jittery.

I really like the NHRs most of the time. They'll come running when I'm in the pasture and intercept me, run alongside and dart in front of me. Tripping over them instead of stepping square on them is... challenging... especially when I'm toting a bag of feed.

The social butterflies, though, are my turkeys. They're like feathered dogs- the come when called, respond when I bark to them, follow me everywhere (including into the house if they find an open door or window) and beg for treats if we're at the picnic table. Out of 9, two tolerate handling pretty well and one BBB loves being scratched under her wings.
Yes..I hadn’t realized how sweet turkeys were until I watched the homestead family website Coghill Farm..they have some sweet turkeys, their little girl is chicken obsessed and has a million chickens, ducks, turkeys, and an emu!

I have 3 Rhode Island x Australorp who really hate being touched. Also a beautiful Hamburg who is so timid I can't even breathe around and she runs a mile!
I love the look of the Barred Rock but have been told that they were often clucky which has put me off. Have any of you found this? I don't have a rooster.
If I do get some should I get chicks so they get used to me from the beginning?
Cuckoo Marans are barred like that, although more blurry, mine are super curious and friendly..lap girls, jump on shoulders, etc..

Today, after mid-morning's treat of Scratch Grains.
20210731_094353_resized.jpg

GC

Cochins seem pritty sweet. Don't get Barnevelder chickens they don't seem to like handling much in my experience. However I have chickens/roosters who will run away from U if they want then other times follow U like a dog. I think any breed of chook can be friendly and sweet if U raise it young n right.. maybe not all but your chances of getting that r higher if U put in the effort I suppose. Silkies seem sweet too but every one gets those. Next breed I'm getting is Australia pit game.

It will be a while before I get more chickens, but when I do, what breeds have you guys found to be the most human friendly? By that I mean anything ranging from:

Doesn't run from people
to
Likes to follow people around
to
Likes or tolerates human handling

Or is that more of an individual chicken thing versus a breed thing?
I have had many different breeds come live with me...This means lots of favorites for different reasons.
I have not seen Buckeyes mentioned. They are friendly and self reliant and pretty smart. There are some who pose at you when you try and pet them but hens and Roosters are pretty friendly. I think the best way to describe them is curious. Also Barred rocks and cochins. I had a blue cochin (that was mostly white) who from the brooder wanted cuddles. Then there is a blue laced red wyandote that is a favorite. She does not like to be handled but will tolerate it...favorite thing is to be talked to and she is an excellent mother who is around 4 or 5. I have been keeping chickens for around 7 or 8 years

It will be a while before I get more chickens, but when I do, what breeds have you guys found to be the most human friendly? By that I mean anything ranging from:

Doesn't run from people
to
Likes to follow people around
to
Likes or tolerates human handling

Or is that more of an individual chicken thing versus a breed thing?

Great news! We will be moving soon and there is a place that sells chickens (a lot of breeds too) right by our new house! They also sell quail and pigeons, so I'll have a lot of options! :wee

Back
Top Bottom