Sweetgrass = Royal Palm x Bourbon Red cross??

happydog

Songster
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Western NC
I've got an ad on craigslist to sell my Royal Palm breeders. I've decided to just stick with my Bourbon Reds. I just got a call from a guy who raises Sweetgrass turkeys and he was telling me that Sweetgrasses are nothing more than a cross between a Royal Palm and a Bourbon Red!? Oh yeah??? Is that true?

Yes and no. You can make Sweetgrass/Calico turkeys using a Bourbon x Royal Palm cross. Most people won't know the difference and that's where a lot of the tri-colors come from.

But a first-generation cross isn't going to be a proper Variety as far as I'm concerned. A Sweetgrass is going to be a turkey that came from Sweetgrass and breeds true to Sweetgrass, including the proper shank color, _and_ falls within the standard range of weight for Sweetgrass.

does it matter what breed the tom and the
hen is? like with sexlink chickens.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. But what you are doing is crossing two colors and keeping back the poults that look like calicos. Not everythign that hatches out will look like a Sweetgrass. And just because you have two poults that look right doesn't mean that when you cross them together you'll get the right colored offspring.

Google Porter Turkeys, they have many color varieties and excellent photos of each along with info on the genetics of them,

I think that the Sweetgrass is a very attractive variety.

There is no red gene in a Sweetgrass. A Sweetgrass has two Blackwing bronze genes and two Grey (Palm) genes. It gets one gene from each parent.
You will not get a blackwing bronze gene or a grey (palm) gene from a Bourbon Red. Bourbon Reds have two wild bronze genes that are domant to blackwing bronze. And two red gene

When you cross a royal palm and a bourbon red, you get a pretty interesting bird. It looks like a red bronze, but has reccessive black-wing, narragansett, and palm genes. When you cross these offspring back to other birds with the same genes, you can get sweetgrass. But you will get lots of other stuff as well.

there is no bourbon red gene
in sweetgrass turkeys they have royal palm genes
and black wing bronze genes
you can see at porterturkeys .com
what genes they have
have a great weekend

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom