Swelling on chicken, one week later, getting worse? (Gross picture warning)

MrsYnd

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2022
Hello everyone, about a week ago I posted a thread here , and I'm sorry for making another thread but it seems that the old one got buried and I'm getting worried about the chicken, the swelling has gotten bigger and it's began to grow a white covering on it, I'm almost starting to think it's a burn. I've isolated her at night but it doesn't seem to be working, any thoughts or suggestions? Do I need to drain this?

Luckily her behavior is fine but it definitely seems to be doing something. I have been using bag balm at the suggestion of a friend who raises chickens but I don't know if that's making it worse... I would appreciate any help!
Here's a picture

Attachments

• image_2023-01-12_135717420.png
    image_2023-01-12_135717420.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
I'm sorry that you have to deal with this, it looks like it might have gotten infected somehow. It was looking fine before. :/ How often do you apply the bag balm? If it was too much, it could have softened the scab and let in bacteria. Did you use any neosporin or the like?

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this, it looks like it might have gotten infected somehow. It was looking fine before. :/ How often do you apply the bag balm? If it was too much, it could have softened the scab and let in bacteria. Did you use any neosporin or the like?
Only once a day right before they go up to roost, should I ease off it? I did not use any Neosporin because it really seemed to be doing fine until like two days ago and I thought it was closed off enough to not need it.

I posted on your original thread, but I think the area is fat. I would stop the bag balm, and use Betadine or chlorhexidene once a day. If possible, I would consider soaking just her belly in warm Epsom salts.

If you feel lumps in her swollen belly I would worry it's either from internal laying (chicken can lay whole eggs inside their body cavity) or maybe a tumor or cyst. Any chance you can get her to a vet to get some imaging done?

If you feel lumps in her swollen belly I would worry it's either from internal laying (chicken can lay whole eggs inside their body cavity) or maybe a tumor or cyst. Any chance you can get her to a vet to get some imaging done?
Unfortunately there aren't any poultry vets nearby, However she was frequently laying just prior to this and has immediately stopped, I wondered if there was a connection to that, what would I do if internal laying was an issue?

Back
Top Bottom