Swelling on Coturnix

I have never seen anything like that on a bird. My first instinct was that it was an abscess but have only seen something similar on my dog. Just a strange question....... Is it squishy or is it firm to the touch?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
smile.png

I'll lance the lump as soon as I can put together an isolation chamber and find my scalpel.

Who'd have guessed I'd be using my lab training to perform minor medical procedures on quail?
roll.png

Quote:
It's firm to the touch but gives a bit if I apply a little more pressure.

Quote:
It's firm to the touch but gives a bit if I apply a little more pressure.

IF IT IS AN ABCESS AND FIRM TO THE TOUCH THEN IT IS NOT READY TO BE LANCED YET.... WAIT TIL IT GETS SOFT AND MUSHY.... OTHERWISE YOUR CUTTING YOUR QUAIL FOR NO REASON.

Update

After the original posting, the lump kept swelling and started becoming discolored. I gave him Sulfa antibiotics but they had no effect and it kept growing until it almost completely covered his right eye and was growing over the top of his head towards his left eye. Today I lanced it. There was no pus, only blood came out, and when I squeezed it didn't shrink. It appeared to be a solid mass. When I realized it was probably a growth or tumor I had him put down.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom