1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swelling over my hen's eye (w/PHOTOS) - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewYorkMama, Jun 13, 2017.

1. NewYorkMama

NewYorkMama Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Hello! My 9 week old Buff Orpington has a swelling over/around her eye which I noticed around 24 hours ago. I am not aware of any injury or sting (of course, I'm not watching her 24/7)! She shares a large coop & run with two other BO's and one Plymouth Rock, they free range around 1-2 hours a day. They are all around 9 weeks old and raised together. None of the girls seem to fight with one another.

Her behavior has thus far been normal - she's eating, drinking, scratching as usual. No discharge, no sneezing. I'm posting two photos, one of her "good side" one of her "bad side", taken this morning. Any advice is welcome; I'm new to chicken raising. Thank you!

Bad side:
    chicken1 - Copy.jpg Good side:
    chicken2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. tyster19

tyster19 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Maybe she fell or walked into something? :caf:welcome

NewYorkMama likes this.
  3. tyster19

tyster19 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Maybe a small rock fell on her during free range time

4. NewYorkMama

NewYorkMama Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    There isn't any bruising or laceration - it almost looks allergic to me, the way it's all around her eye. From above, that side of her head/face looks swollen.

5. RyanWitt11

RyanWitt11 Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    This just happened to both of my roosters yesterday!! It appeared like an allergic reaction to me as well because there is no discharge and they are acting completely normal. Did you ever find out what it was, or can you tell me what I should do to help them?

NewYorkMama likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look for any sting marks or peck wounds. Swelling around an eye can be from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG,) but I would keep an eye on her for the swelling to go down, since you are not seeing any other respiratory symptoms. Can you see any bubbles or discharge in the eye?

NewYorkMama and RyanWitt11 like this.
  7. RyanWitt11

RyanWitt11 Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    I can't speak for NewYorkMama but these are my Roos and they haven't had any bubbling or discharge. It has been 24 hours and the swelling is only slightly less but no other signs appeared and no peck marks. I did find a small tick attached to the BR non swollen eyelid?
    IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG

8. NewYorkMama

NewYorkMama Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    No bubbles or discharge. It seems to have gone down some today - she's still eating/drinking/acting normally...
    I did see an area slightly more red to the left of the swelling - possibly that was a bite/sting mark?

9. NewYorkMama

NewYorkMama Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    beautiful roosters! How are they doing today? My hen seems better... it still looks slightly swollen but not nearly as much. She's still acting like nothing's wrong.

10. NewYorkMama

NewYorkMama Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Thanks for your help everyone! She's doing much better today - swelling is all but gone and there's a tiny scab I can see now behind where the swelling was - looks like she must have gotten stung or bitten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by