Swiftack - does it really exist?

Amanita

Songster
May 18, 2017
Sligo, Ireland
For our current (first) generation, I've been using vet wrap tape to make leg bands to identify the different birds, but it's been fairly fiddly and they tend to fall off over time and need constant monitoring to make sure they're not getting too tight.
Now that the pullets have started laying and I'm planning the second generation, I was researching better tagging methods. I came across this article: https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/87/6/1052/1588223# - it looks at the effects of different tagging systems, and the ''Swiftack" option was one of the better ones. However, looking online, I can't find any reference to it outside of various scientific articles, and no pictures of what it looks like.
Has anyone come across this system before? Any idea what it entails?

However, looking online, I can't find any reference to it outside of various scientific articles, and no pictures of what it looks like.
I couldn't either, never heard of it before, am curious, but guess I'll stick to zipties.
That linked paper/article is 10 years old, maybe that's why?

For our current (first) generation, I've been using vet wrap tape to make leg bands to identify the different birds, but it's been fairly fiddly and they tend to fall off over time and need constant monitoring to make sure they're not getting too tight.
Now that the pullets have started laying and I'm planning the second generation, I was researching better tagging methods. I came across this article: https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/87/6/1052/1588223# - it looks at the effects of different tagging systems, and the ''Swiftack" option was one of the better ones. However, looking online, I can't find any reference to it outside of various scientific articles, and no pictures of what it looks like.
Has anyone come across this system before? Any idea what it entails?
I know this is a really old thread, but I think you're asking about swiftacH, like the plastic things used to put tags on clothing. The National Band and Tag Company sells them and has a video of how to attach them. Looks a bit brutal, but a suppose it must not be much worse than wing banding or tagging the ears of other livestock.

I've been trying to find a thread with people's experiences using them, but only found this thread so far.

Back
Top Bottom