Swimming Low in the Water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Oct 18, 2009.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Okay I know when I ask this question you will know I'm not a country girl, you may think I am a little crazy too. I was noticing that the last two times I've seen my ducks swimming a couple of them were swimming low in the water and the other ducks swim over top. I'm not talking about when they dive, but when they have their head out of the water and are just peacefully swimming along. Is that some kind of mating invitation or something? They are eleven weeks old. Okay no laughing... maybe some of you that have been around ducks longer than me have answer to this question. : )

Tia

2. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Okay I know nothin about ducks except what I can guess from watchin my three. But my three totally do this and I'm convinced they're gettin frisky. They sort of flatten themselves out and lift their butts a bit. When I first saw them doin it I thought it was because they were hidin from a predator but I'm pretty sure they're hopin some boy ducks will come along. They make like very rapid funny quiet sqeaky noises at the same time. And then one of them doin it will make the others get a bit frisky and they'll start doin it too.
    This my guess anyway, for what it's worth! Maybe someone who actually knows about ducks can tell us for sure!
    xxxxxxxx

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    yeah that's just ducky loving... lol and they are establishing the ducky pecking order...

4. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Ohhh I been on the receivin end of ducky pecking order. According to Mr. Snoogles it goes, my husband, followed by Mr. Snoogles, followed by me, then Rory, then Doogie at the bottom. He does that ducky peckin the ground thing at me when he want's me to keep in line! Very embarrassing that I got a duck who think he my boss. Pest.

5. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Swimming low can be an indication of an oil gland problem or a tired duck. As long as there is not an egress problem from the pond and the ducks don't appear water logged, I wouldn't be concerned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by