Swing set to Coop conversion help

Coop de Grille

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2010
South Carolina
My neighbor has an old wooden swing set that I am going to take and convert into a coop. I have a few chickens that are picked on by the general population in my current coop and I want to separate them from the mean girls. I need help though, I'm totally clueless on where to start.

I'd love to see pics of swing sets that have been converted into a coop to give me some ideas. Sorry for the grainy pic, I took it from a distance with my cell phone.

Last edited:
I would turn the actual wood part into a house where they can sleep and possibly eat. Underneath that on the ground you could have a sandbox there for them to roll around in. Not sure about the part with the swings.

The part with the swings I'm going to enclose in an A-frame and make the run. It's the coop part that I need help with. Should I close in nest boxes on the bottom where it's open? What type of roof should I put on top? Tin?

Nesting boxes below would be a good idea. Depends on how many chickens will be in there. And Im not sure on the roof part. I haven't finished my coop yet.

I'd cut the legs off so they are about 24in then enclose that area with hardware cloth so the chickens have a place to sit in the shade. The other end could be cut off the same as the coop legs and covered with whatever you plan on using. Looks like that main beam across the top could be used for trusses on top of the coop. Good Luck

The recycled swing set ...great idea, been think'n about build'n my daughter a coop for Christmas & was try'n to think up how to use as much recycled materials as possible, we still have the swing my daughters played on that can be used. can get any wood needed from the local building supply, they always hace scrap or damaged material for cheap or free.

Tin is good, or plastic corrugated roofing. Plastic is probably cheapest but if you live in colder regions there's a chance of cracking. There is also another type of corrugated roofing its thicker than tin and plastic and won't rust or crack, its Corrugated Cellulose Fiber/Asphalt Roof Panel from lowes. Comes in different colors and is VERY durable. I have it on my run it is a swingset a frame also and we will turn the upper wooden part later into a coop. I am planning on laying plywood down on the bottom door with ramp down to run enclosing sides with a door for cleaning and window. Auto coop door, nesting boxes INSIDE the coop (they like to feel secure). And an a frame roof made of the corrugated listing above. I don't have the coop built and probably wont for a while, we currently have a store bought chiken coop (NOT RECOMMENDED). Once that has gotten into worse disrepair we will start. I can send a picture of the part we have now its a bit more put together than yours.

Back
Top Bottom