Swings and Hanging Toys Caution

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
Yesterday morning I was sitting on my back porch, enjoying a cup of coffee, when I heard a huge commotion from the chicken run, not far away. It was clearly distress screaming commotion. My first thought was a large snake. I got to the run, and didn't see a predator. I counted and all 5 were there. It took me several seconds to realize that one in the head count didn't look right. Upon closer look, I noticed she was hanging by a foot in the rope for the swing.

I have no clue how she managed to get the rope wrapped around her foot. I got in as everyone else was running into the coop for safety and got her freed. I thought at first her leg was damaged the way she was limping as she ran into the coop. For a couple of hours, she just laid in a corner of the coop, obviously hurting and scared. After some mash and some rest she started walking, and physically was fine by late afternoon. If I hadn't been outside and heard the commotion, she probably would have had a broken leg. Or worse.

I don't know how to prevent this, other than not having hanging things they can get tangled in. I still have a couple of toys on chains, but the swing came out of the run. If anyone has any ideas for how to prevent accidents with hanging toys, I'm all for suggestions. Otherwise, just a cautionary tale.

Mods: I hope this is in the proper forum.

I'm so sorry that happened! That sounds awful and I'm glad you were there to get her out quickly.

I will only offer mine their hanging treat ball while supervised for precisely this reason. I haven't yet figured out a way to remove the risk entirely, so I figure that's the safest way to reduce risk while still letting them enjoy their treats.

I'm so sorry that happened! That sounds awful and I'm glad you were there to get her out quickly.

I will only offer mine their hanging treat ball while supervised for precisely this reason. I haven't yet figured out a way to remove the risk entirely, so I figure that's the safest way to reduce risk while still letting them enjoy their treats.
Thank you. I have several new gray hairs, that's for sure. And I'm pretty sure that little girl (14 weeks) is still shaken.

The two toys on chains are close to the wall. I'm debating between "that will keep them from getting tangled" and "just take them out".

Wow. That must have been terrifying!

When our chicks got too big for the brooder (and our house) we moved them into the garage in a chicken tractor sort of thing, just until the coop was ready.
One day we gave them a piece of cantaloupe and hung it from a rope from the roof. The chicks finished eating and we took it down for the night and went to bed but left the rope. The next morning my dad found our Barnevelder (her name is Meadow) hanging from the rope just above the ground; her foot was caught in it. She was alive, but so frightened; we have no idea how long she had been hanging there. She was limping for a few hours after that, but after getting some rest, she was fine, no injuries other than a sore foot. It was definitely a scary experience! We learned never to leave anything even a little bit dangerous with them; and we have (thankfully) never had any injuries.

Wow. That must have been terrifying!

When our chicks got too big for the brooder (and our house) we moved them into the garage in a chicken tractor sort of thing, just until the coop was ready.
One day we gave them a piece of cantaloupe and hung it from a rope from the roof. The chicks finished eating and we took it down for the night and went to bed but left the rope. The next morning my dad found our Barnevelder (her name is Meadow) hanging from the rope just above the ground; her foot was caught in it. She was alive, but so frightened; we have no idea how long she had been hanging there. She was limping for a few hours after that, but after getting some rest, she was fine, no injuries other than a sore foot. It was definitely a scary experience! We learned never to leave anything even a little bit dangerous with them; and we have (thankfully) never had any injuries.
That sounds very similar to what happened to my girl. Luckily it was only a couple of minutes she was that way. Glad meadow was ok!

I would avoid rope entirely around animals when possible. Chains should be a safer option, not risk free, but chain doesn't tangle the way rope does, nor does it fray and become a choking hazard.
I singed the ends so they wouldn't fray. But I never thought about tangling in the rope. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom