Switched to nippled water pail

Newchickadee30

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
Hello,

We recently switched from using open pails of water to a closed pail with nipples.
We still left open pails of water and slowly took one pail away a day as they learned how to use the nipples.
It wasn’t really until we took the last pail away that they started using the nipple waterer.
So we have seen them use it, but with 44 birds and lots that look the same I can’t says that I’ve seen every individual one drink from it.
My question is with the pails I felt like they went through a ton of water and now with this new water system not so much. I am worried they aren’t getting enough water. The temperature here has just turned pretty cold too so not sure if that’s to blame. Do they just waste more with open pails? Has anyone noticed this before? Again, I’m just worried they aren’t getting enough.
Thank you

With open pails, they get their face wet and shake the excess water off. They can't do this will the nipples.
I went through less water with nipples than the open pails.

I just ordered some horizontal nipples. I realized my chickens were getting their wattles dripping wet every time they took a drink. With the cold temps, I see that being very uncomfortable/dangerous to them.

I realized my chickens were getting their wattles dripping wet every time they took a drink. With the cold temps, I see that being very uncomfortable/dangerous to them.
I've never used nipple waterers.
I've kept chickens through 4 winter seasons with temps as low as -15 F. 20201025_173736_resized_1.jpg
20201031_055028_resized.jpg

Their wattles get wet when they drink, never had a hen with damage to their wattles.
20200511_093718_resized.jpg

This hen had been through 4 winter seasons. GC

If you can, track water consumption. That should eliminate your concern that the level is going down.
Yep.

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

Found they drank just as much from the nipples as they did from the open waterer.

-Do not train to nipples during extreme temps when dehydration is more of a risk.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger),
and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

Back
Top Bottom