Switched to sand in brooder...

I'm in Florida and when I first started last year I used the deep litter method. It's was too hot in their coop and too stinky. I switched to sand in the coop and PDZ in the poop trays. It's so easy to clean and my coops don't stink even in summer.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the article. I too bookmarked it. Have my babies on pine shaving but I think I'll switch them to the sand this weekend!
smile.png

Your welcome. I was glad I came across it. Pine shavings seem to get really stinky. Once everything is fully set up I plan on using sand as well.

Loved the video of the chicks rolling in the sand! Too funny. They were really "digging" it. (Sappy humor - lol)

Sweet PDZ is nothing short of a miracle! I picked some up and sprinkle it everywhere! The cat litter box, guinea pig cage and brooder! The litter boxes are in the bathroom, the g-pig is in my daughter's room and the brooder is in the kitchen (for now. they will be moving soon to the garage because Holy Cow the dust!!). You can't smell ANY of these things!
It's a mineral so it's totally safe should they happen to eat it.
I will HAVE to look for this stuff!!

I don't have a good sense of smell but my husband does and the smell of the guinea pigs drives him nuts.

I li
Hi.  I'm new at this too and am impatiently waiting for my 10 new chicks.  (Coming May 16)  I am setting up a plastic kiddie pool in our garage with heat lamp, etc.  I put newspaper down first and then will add the pine shavings on top.  At least maybe for the first two weeks?  Then maybe switching to sand might be a good idea?  Like you say, it would make cleaning easier with a kitty litter scoop.  Will it hurt them to eat the sand?  Are they still on chick starter? 

I also read on BYC to maybe put a roll of chicken wire around the pool too so as they grow they won't leap out.  That might be a good idea too.  I'll post a pic once I have it set up and see what everybody thinks as I have never raised chicks before. 
I like this idea. How is it working out?

I had about a 40 percent mortality rate with my first attempt at day old chickens this year (SLWs), I believe because I started them on pine shavings. Those little chicks think it is food, and it kills them. My second batch (50 CX) I started on sand and added ACV to their water and have none die (except for two extras that obviously were trampled somehow). Big beiever in sand for chicks here.

Back
Top Bottom